We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Caribe

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Caribe

I'm thinking of going to the Riu Caribe in Feb. This time for the first time I'm considering traveling alone. Any suggestions would be appreciated (I'm a 54 yr old female). I tend to be a pool person. Can anyone tell me if they have enough available umbrellas around the pool or is it a mad rush every morning to claim the chairs with shade? I've been to Marriotts, Iberostar etc. in the Caribbean (and loved them)but thought I'd try the Riu this time.Can you actually see the ocean from all rooms like the different sites say?

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
7,897 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Iberostar Cancun
Iberostar Cancun
5,016 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Caribe

We stayed at the Riu Caribe in 2004 and spent a good deal of time at the pool. We met many people there, actually a number of them travelling alone and having a very good time. It is not a "party" hotel so I think you would feel very comfortable and safe. The downfall is that we did have to save our chairs with towels by about 8 am to have sunny spaces. There was though lots of shady areas and a beautiful beach (I don't know how beautiful it will be in Feb. We had two different rooms both with ocean views. Ask for about a 9th floor room in the middle section, that is about as good as it gets.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
7,897 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Scarborough, Ontario
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Caribe

I stayed at the Riu Caribe in February of 2005 as well an we loved it. There was lots of chairs in the shade it is the ones right beside the pool that gets taken up early. I am the same age as you and I felt totally safe there. I was there with my daughter and we had a blast. We are booked to go there on February 11 this year and I can't wait. My travel agent called me just to confirm that the Riu Caribe would be ready for us to arrive. I also heard that the beach is now bigger as well. You really should try the Riu hotels they are great. Maybe we will see you there in February. I hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
7,897 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Va
Level Contributor
11,720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Caribe

Your not going to find umbrellas around the pool. There were a lot of shady palm trees, but I am guessing that they are not so shady any more. There is shade from the building depending on the time of year you go. If you are going closer to summer, there will be very little shade. If you are going in the next few month, there will be plenty of shady.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Caribe

We went to the Riu Caribe in April of this year. They have a beautiful pool and beach area. Our room had an ocean view and I believe most of them do, except my brother-in-laws room didn't have an ocean view.

I don't recall there being umbrellas by the pool. The umbrella chairs were on the beach. The least crowded umbrella chairs were on the east side of the property up by the pizza place. It was also nice relaxing in their hammocks which are on the west side of the property.

The Riu Caribe is the older of the Riu properties in Cancun. We really enjoyed it and would definitely return again if we get back to Cancun.

Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
7,897 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Caribe

You say you're a pool person... this resort has a BEAUTIFUL pool area. What I loved most was that around the perimeter of the pool, there is a ledge that extends out from the pool wall. There the water is only about a foot deep, so you can take your pool chair right down into the pool and bask in the sun while staying cool in the water.

As for shade... I remember there being a lot of shade. We went in March, and a lot of pool chairs were in the shade because of all the gorgeous palm trees. I'm not sure if the palm trees will still be there, so shade may be more limited now.

There was tons of palapas on the beach, and a kind of secluded area with shade by the pizza place.

I doubt you'll be disappointed with this place, it was amazing. And ocean views were goregous. From what I saw, it looked as though most rooms had ocean/pool views.

Just remember this was all pre-Wilma.. Hope this helps.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Caribe

Thank you all so much for your comments. They helped a lot. It sounds really nice. If I go I'll write a request for the 9th floor middle section (thanks Janawee). I too am planning to go the week of Feb 11th. So maybe I'll see you, Takemeawaytwoo. That's nice you're going with your daughter. I have 6 kids ranging in age from 21 to 30 yr old (2 sets of twins). I have 3 daughters and 3 sons. Unfortunatly none of them can travel in Feb this year for different reasons (4 of them are still in college. I went to La Romana (Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus) last yr with my 25 yr old son. We had a lot of fun.I've narrowed it down to either the Riu Caribe or the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana. Both sound so nice.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Iberostar Hacienda...
9,486 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
7,897 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico