We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets or Palace resorts?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Secrets or Palace resorts?

Hello,

I'm debating whether to stay at Secrets Maroma, Sun Palace, Cancun Palace, or Le Blanc Palace. What does anyone think about these? I heard the beaches are nicer the farther south you go towards riveria maya or playa del carmen, is that right? So that's why i was leaning towards sun palace or secrets maroma. But I read le blanc has butler service! Don't know about the beach area though. How far is the bus ride from secrets maroma or sun palace to downtown cancun? I want to be still close enough, but yet away from it for the isolation and relaxation.

thanks

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

We love the Palace and Secrets resorts! We've done Sun Palace, Cancun Palace and LeBlanc. We will be staying at Secrets Maroma in Sept. We loved Secrets Capri and Secrets Silversands.

First of all, the Palace resorts are in Cancun, so you can walk or grab a short bus ride anywhere in the Hotel Zone. A big plus for us.

Secrets Maroma probably has the best beach of all (so I've heard), but you are kind of in the middle of no where. A cab to Playa del CArmen or Cancun will be approx $30 each way. Something to keep in mind if you like to leave the resort often.

LeBlanc is top of the top for us. Yes, they have butler service, gourmet type food, amazing service........you aren't allowed to do anythign at LeBlanc, it gets done for you!

Cancun Palace is kind of my favorite Palace because it was fun and classy at the same time. We had a small group with some singles, so we enjoyed the pool activities and lively lobby bar. It is not adult only, so I imagine you could get a lot of kids depending on the time of year. We did not have any problems in early Dec.

Sun Palace is small, intimate, and adult only. I'm not 100% sure on the beach. It was amazing when we were there, but I dont' know that the beach renovation covered that resort. I've heard of some rocks, but I'm sure it's still a very nice beach........

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

LeBlanc has a beautiful new beach - we were there for our 2nd trip during the beach renovation. The service at LeBlanc is just fantastic. I've honestly, never used the butler though. LeBlanc is very quiet and laid back...it's the perfect place to sit back and relax.

I've visited Sun Palace and I wasn't impressed. I thought the beach was small and lacking and the pools were a strange configuration after spending all our time in the pools at LeBlanc.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

If I were you the list would be narrowed down to Secrets Maroma or Leblanc. If high quality service is imprortant than leblanc forsure. If having a butler and flawless service is not a big deal and you would prefer a flawless beach than I would pick Maroma. Also if a balcony is very important than choose maroma or book a room at leblanc with a balcony and not the french balcony.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

I think an important thing to consider is style. Le Blanc and Sun Palace are very similar in design...very minimalist and modern, and both have a very boutique hotel feel. There really aren't any grounds to meander, and not a ton of greenery. However, we loved the gorgeous sea views from our room and all of the common areas of the buildings, as well as the outstanding service.

At Maroma, you'll have a completely different style of architecture and design. This is much more of a resort, with tropical foliage, and paths to walk. However, you won't have those sea views from the main buildings since the property is much larger. We haven't stayed there, but did a ton of research deciding between here and Capri for our vacation in April.

If you are looking for adults only, keep in mind Cancun Palace is a family resort.

Good luck deciding!

CA
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

Thank you all for your posts! Really helped me narrow in on Le Blanc or Secrets now! Just wondering if Secrets Maroma has a bus or shuttle that takes you into town (hotel zone) so I don't have to pay for a cab everytime? $30 is pretty steep for a cab. I know the palace resorts have them.

Also what's the difference between the capri and silversands resorts? Which beaches are better? I decided on Maroma because of pictures only from the website and liked how modern it was. Just wonder how the others are to compare from. Can you visit the other secrets and use their property's amenities as well like the palace resorts allow to resort hop? Do they include excursions?

Lastly, did any of you book directly through the resort website's? I'm trying to get the best deal possible.

Thanks for your help!

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

Le Blanc is the best adult only AI we have stayed in in Mexico and these include El Dorado Casitas, Excellence PM, Secrets Capri, and others. Top notch in every area and more luxurious than any of the Secrets resorts. True top shelf liquor, nice included wine list, great spa and wonderful gym and a gorgeous new beach that was just being finished late November, our most recent of three trips there. Th infinity pools are stunning and the resort is fresh and relaxing, very zen.

LeBlanc has butler service in all categories, great beds and a perfect location if you want to be able to get out and about without a taxi. Staff is superb. Food is freshly prepared and consistently very good.

I have been to SMB as well and it has a great beach, small main pool, modern architecture. It is a pretty resort but IMO and IME not in the same class as LeBlanc.

I would not recommend Cancun Palace personally as it caters to groups (it has an attached convention center) and was very hotel like. I have been there several times for events. Also visited Sun Palace and the resort felt really crowded and does not have nearly the luxury or amenities of LeBlanc. I also found the food at Cancun and Beach Palace really average. We ended up having dinner out most nights when we stayed at Beach and Palace uses a central kitchen to prepare a good portion of their food and then truck it in to the resorts - except for LeBlanc.

Edited: 8:04 am, March 07, 2010
Iowa
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

If the beach is important to you, you can throw Secrets Silversands out. Nice resort, but beach isn't the best. Friends are at Secrets Maroma now and are loving it.

I don't think you can go wrong with your choices if you look at Le Blanc, Sun or Secrets. I'd price them all out to help make your decision.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

With the new beach at LeBlanc I would say there would not be a big difference with Maroma except that the waves might be calmer at Maroma. If being close to Cancun is important Maroma is a long ways away. Secrets and Palace resorts are great. The Secrets resorts are more destination resorts because of their location. The new beach on the strip is amazing. Sun Palace does not have a new beach and it is much smaller than just a year ago.

Bus ride from Maroma is not practical. From Sun Palace to clubs is about 15 min. and to downtown 30 to 35 min. LeBlanc you are right in all the action.

Edited: 10:42 am, March 09, 2010
Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

Secrets Maroma and LeBlanc are going to cost much more than all of the others. You may already know that but just thought I would point it out.

10. Re: Secrets or Palace resorts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, September 06, 2010