We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on my own..

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
One day on my own..

This April, I am meeting a group of friends at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. But, I will arrive 1 or 2 days before they will. Should I check into that hotel? Or, should I spend the first day or 2 in Cancun itself?

I am also interested in seeing Chichen-Itza. I don't believe that they will join me for that. Should I stay in a hotel near there?

I have traveled a lot. However, I have never been to Mexico. I am comfortable getting out on my own so long as places are reasonably safe. Any advise is welcome.

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
580 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day on my own..

I don't really think you need to stay in Chichen Itza in order to go. The last time we were there in October 2010 we stayed at the Omni in Cancun and we were able to book a trip to Chichen Itza from our hotel. The next morning they picked us up at the hotel lobby and dropped us of also. So, it's really not necessary to stay close. Also, if you decide to book a trip to the hotel make sure to take your swim suity because some tours stop at the Il-Kil cenote (I think that's what it's called) and you can swim. Have Fun!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day on my own..

I think the best answer I can give you is yes, and then again yes! I would definitely recommend a visit to the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza. I am surprised that anyone would pass up the opportunity to visit one of the Top 7 Man Made Wonders Of The World. I recommend you choose to stay in Cancun at a European Plan resort. In this way, you will not be feeling tied to your resort and wasting money while you are not taking advantage of the All Inclusive amenities, especially when you travel to Chichen Itza. I agree with the above poster, that you should wear a bathing suit under your clothes so you can swim at the Cenote Ik-Kil. Just make sure you book a tour that makes a stop there, as many of them that include the night lazer show do not. In fact, I recommend that you do not choose a tour that includes the light show because after a long day, it is easy to fall asleep while sitting out in a field and watching lights on the ruins that you have already visited during daylight. Instead you would be better off to get back to Cancun in order to take a shower and head out for some nightlife. The Hotel Zone is home to dozens of clubs and hundreds of restaurants to dine, and if you stay for the light show, you will definitely not feel up for going out, and most restaurants will be closing by the time you get back.

As for choosing a hotel, I highly recommend you consider the following high end European Plan resorts:

Le Meridien

Ritz Carlton

Live Aqua

ME by Melia

Hilton Golf & Spa Resort

JW Marriott-Marriott CasaMagna is the sister resort located next door

Fiesta Americana Condesa-the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach is the higher end sister resort

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guidebook

Labrador
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One day on my own..

Staying at a hotel near Chichen Itza for a night is a great way to visit the site. Most of the people who visit arrive on tour buses from Cancun and the coastal area. Because it takes 2-3 hours for them to reach the site the bulk of the crowds don't arrive until mid morning. By staying next to the site and visiting first thing in the morning you get to enjoy the area with far fewer people around, and being such a popular tourist destination, it can get quite crowded with people.

I did this when visiting Coba a few years ago. When I first arrived in the morning (from my hotel a few hundred yards away), I practically had the place to myself. I climbed the main pyramid (you can still do that at Coba) and was the only person on the pyramid. Just hung out for half an hour, completely on my own, looking out over the jungle.

You won't get Chichen Itza all to yourself to the same degree, as it gets far more visitors, but the same principle applies. You will have a few hours in the morning to explore with far fewer people around than you would by arriving on a tour bus with the thousands of other people who visit the site every day.

4. Re: One day on my own..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 17, 2010