We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun best Beach for snorkeling

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun best Beach for snorkeling

I'm traveling to cancun this summer with my husband and 12 year old son. We are gain for a cool untradional place to stay with ac.

Not really interested in a condo. I would love a quaint off the beaten path place. Also where is the best beach north or south

Thanks!

42heaven

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun best Beach for snorkeling

You may want to consider Playa Del Carmen as they have some great little boutique hotels. Snorkelling in cancun is not great. For snorkelling I would stay on Isla Mujeres or Cozumel. Isla Mujeres has some great little resorts.

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
538 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun best Beach for snorkeling

Cozumel has really nice snorkeling areas! But, you might also want to consider going to Xel-Ha ecological park because it's a great place to snorkel because you can see salt and sweet water fishes. It's a beautiful experience!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun best Beach for snorkeling

To answer your question:

The best place in the hotel zone of Cancun for snorkling is down by Club Med which is on the souternmost portion of the hotel zone. Also its 10 minutes to the airport.

You can walk on the beach to the area where to snorkel depending where you stay. The Westin is right next door as well as many other hotels and condos.

As for the beach as of right now the beach has been totally refurbished(lots of sand) all the way from the top of the 7 to a few hotels away from the Westin. So any part is fine. The beach goes South to North and then from East to West since the hotel zone is in the shape of the number 7.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun best Beach for snorkeling

Last time we went was at Maroma Beach.They take you to a reef and have food so the fish come to you. Also Akumal was exciting because of the big sea turtles that swim with you.These are south of Cancun near Playa Del Carmen.

5. Re: Cancun best Beach for snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 03, 2010