We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
17 reviews
beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I have seen the videos and photo's. I have read the reports from the locals. Then, there are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....hand reports from others.

If you look, alot of the damages you see are cosmetic. Once the sand and debris is cleared out, in many cases, repairs are minor. Yes, there is a few places that are irrepairable, but mostly it's lot's of glass and straw roofs to be replaced.

There are still bars and restaraunts open, just not all of them. Many who go don't even leave the resorts anyway.

So, does it matter if the beach is narrower or the plants are not as tall and mature. The places that are repaired or "new" places that emerge might be better than before. If you loved Cancun before, you will still love it. If it is a particular resort that has your fancy, you might have to change.

Please let the locals keep us up to date. Others that are posting hysterical speculations which just get more blown out of proportion as they go.

I still plan on going. Blue skies, the sound of the ocean, some fruity icey drinks in my travel mug...that will still be there. Don't give up on Cancun, hurricanes have been doing their damage for a bigillion years and the land always comes back.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: beauty is in the eye of the beholder

pstmstr - I like your style! Some people will return as quickly as they can, others may return at a later date. Cancun means something different to everyone, and everyone will make the decision for themselves. But people like you, as well as the will and hard work of the Mexican people, will be able to take credit for bringing Cancun back...

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Have a wonderful trip pstmstr. Safe travels to you and your family. Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
3. Re: beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I agree with you 100%!!! It's not just the white sandy beaches, the turqoise waters & the palm trees that keep drawing us back to Cancun because you can see that anywhere in the Caribbean. It's the people...the warm smiles, the hugs, the kisses on the cheeks, the 'hola's',and the genuine hospitality of these people that keep drawing us back. I have been to almost every other island in the Caribbean and in my eyes, nothing even comes close to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera. I just got home from the Mayan Riviera a few days ago and I was there during Wilma. Even though there was no hydro, no water, no phones, flooding and total devastation, the staff at the hotel still smiled, hugged and kissed us and did everything in their power to make sure we were taken care of. Personally I can't wait to get back there and see them all again. Sure I could go somewhere else where there's nicer beaches, more lush vegetation, better shopping & restaurants but I don't want to. I'd rather be back there with the all people I know and have grown to love over the years. To me, that is more important than anything else in the world.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
4. Re: beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Great post!!!! I agree with you all the way. As soon as we can get away, we are there.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,960 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I agree, too! After Gilbert the Royals posted items to bring for the families of workers. Everyone arriving from the airport was toting more luggage than before. I know we did. We'll do it again. We've been going to Cancun for over 15 years with our kids and this won't change it. Will we miss the beautiful mature palms? Of course. They'll be back, though. That's not why we go. We go for the food, the relaxing, the beach, the colors, warm weather, the people. If Lorenzillo's is closed - try La Parrilla. Find new restaurants in town and enjoy the experience. There's so much more to do than just what's on the strip. I bought my plane tickets for March right after Wilma. It's my proof that I believe Cancun will be back better than ever.

Cheryl