We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried Son

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
3 posts
Save Topic
Worried Son

My mother and Father were staying at the Grand Solaris. Does anyone know where they were evacuated to? I'm just tring to see if they are ok. Our prayers go out to everyone there.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried Son

There is a Royal Solaris if it is the same place on this list of shelters for the Cancun's hotel zone. The first column is the name of the shelter and the second column is the address. Here are maps of Cancun but the print is so tiny I can't make out the name of the streets on my computer.

http://209.15.138.224/inmomex/cancunx.htm

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried Son

Try not to panic.

Depending on the hotel they take the guests

by bus inland. Some hotels like the Marriot

have shelters in the basement.

I was evacuted for a hurricane and we were

taken inland and housed in a small school.

No glass windows -just slats coving the openings. Dirt floors. Overflowing bathrooms.

Not pleasant but we were alive.

Your parents most likely will not be able

to contact you and there is no way you will

be able to contact them.

They will be OK. Count on it!!

They will not be home for about a week as

once the airport does re-open everybody is

trying to leave.

Prayers for them helps too!

Keep your chin up!

Chelmsford...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried Son

My brother was staying at the GR Solaris hotel, we've heard from him a couple times (though I didn't talk directly to him). At one point he told us he had a choice of shelters, either the 'sheraton' or the university. He chose the sheraton, however I was suspicious of this as the sheraton is on the coast. We then later heard from him saying he was saying at the Universidad Tecnologie and that the windows were all boarded up and he was getting regular meals, though sleeping on hard tile floors. I am trying to figure out where the universided tecnologie de cancun is located, but I think it might be near the airport.

Los Angeles
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried Son

Hi Son:

My husband's family were also at the Grand Royal Solaris and were evac'ed out yesterday early morning to the Mision Hotel in Merida.

I've read on this forum that those down there with cell phones may not be able to call out but may very well be able to receive calls.

If they have a cell, give it a try. If they don't, guess what they'll request for a holiday gift...

Judi

wisconsin
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried Son

Dear Pittsburg son,

Know that the Mexicans are well trained to evacuate for these types of situations. This is their business. Your parents will probably not be able to call home as the phone lines are down. Please know they are safe and will be taken as far inland as needed to be safe. They maybe in a school or convention center, certainly not a 5 star resort but they will come home to you safely. My prayers are with you. Try not to worry about the things you can not change but trust that some one in a higher power knows.

Sandy from Wisconsin