We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Locals Staying Near the Waterfront and Toughing out the...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Topic
Any Locals Staying Near the Waterfront and Toughing out the...

I was just wondering if any of the locals decided to stay where they live rather then evacuate and if so how are you doing?

Southern, Illinois
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Any Locals Staying Near the Waterfront and Toughing out the...

Jprinz, glad you got a flight out and our home safe....

Southern, Illinois
Level Contributor
695 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Any Locals Staying Near the Waterfront and Toughing out the...

cancunsusan, you and the rest of cancun are in our thoughts and hoping for everyones safety...

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Any Locals Staying Near the Waterfront and Toughing out the...

The Royal resorts are built as designated shelters. I had heard that everyone was being removed, but you should have confidence that they will be safe in the Islander.

I feel more secure here than I would in an unknown place. I have taken my precautions, I have a "basement" bathroom that is between four concrete walls that we can head to if the worst happens. This house withstood Gilberto and is solid and on fairly high ground. We are sheltered on all sides by other concrete buidings. The worst that will happen is a window blowing out. We've taped the windows so the glass doesn't fly and covered them with our pull down blinds and plastic. I have options to head to if it all goes to heck.

This is not to say that I am not nervous, just that I feel as secure here as I would in a shelter. I soooooo appreciate all the support and concern folks, thanks so much.

Rivergirl, hold on tight to your family! Susan and beto et al, stay safe.

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Any Locals Staying Near the Waterfront and Toughing out the...

Just spoke with Royal Resorts. The Islander IS being evacuated, but the woman we spoke with did not know the destination shelters. There is a mandatory, government ordered, full scale evacuation.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Any Locals Staying Near the Waterfront and Toughing out the...

My thoughts and prayers will be with all those affected be it a local, tourist or worried loved ones.

When this is all over, please let us know if there is anything at all we can do to help.

To those that live in Cancun and are so very helpful to all of us on the forums, the offer is sincere.