We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Rental Car Agency

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Best Rental Car Agency

My husband and I are going to be staying at La Amada in November and would like to rent a car. What are the best agencies in Cancun? Are there any extra requierments for foreign drivers?

Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
66 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Rental Car Agency

When I rented I used National and they were great. They were upfront about everything and even told me I was better off paying cash (when I returned the rental) because the exchange rate for credit cards is high. I had reserved at Ace and National but in the end National was cheaper for the same size car (7 passenger). I also got a free upgrade. No problems with them. You can reserve with them and not have to leave a deposit or credit card number, same with Ace. Shop around and see which one has the best prices for your dates and reserve them. If prices change for the better just cancel and reserve again.

Jose

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Rental Car Agency

Rental cars offer a convenient way to visit historic points outside the city at very reasonable prices. One of our personal favorites is E-Z Rent a Car. Another one of our personal favorites is Ace Rent a Car. They both have car rentals from $5 per day. Both of these places use Executive Rent A Car in Cancun, so not matter which one you rent from you will pick up the car at Executive, so go with which one is cheaper. Be advised liability insurance is mandatory with a car rental in Mexico at a cost of $11 per day. With tax and mandatory liability expect a little under $20 a day.

Do not take the collision insurance. Your major credit card will cover collision (check with your card company prior to departure). But most major credit cards will provide collision insurance for no charge.

Also both of these places take reservations online without the need of a credit card to make the reservation. I always take the cheapest car as you pretty much are guaranteed an upgrade at no additional cost. Also I suggest making your reservations and then check back often and especially a few days before you go check the rates again as they usually go down within a few days from departure. Then if rates are cheaper cancel existing reservation and make a new one.

maryland
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Rental Car Agency

Hi was thinking of renting a car but never have in mexico... I have no transfers with my package so have to go with someone for transportation from the airport to our hotel in Cancun.. but we are staying in Cancun for 7 nights and one in Playa.. So was going to use like entertaiment plus for transportation from airport to hotel and was thinking of renting a car to take us to playa and the airport the next day.. can you rent a car at the airport? and can you get one from your hotel and leave it at the airport? trying to keep costs down.. any help would be great..

chicago
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Rental Car Agency

When I went online to make a reservation for E-Z Rent A Car the only location shown is Cancun Airport. However on the forum I've heard people indicate you could pick up at Executive Rent A Car. I won't be needing a car in Cancun but will want to rent one later in my trip when I go to Riviera Maya.

I'll be staying at the Sunset Lagoon in Cancun but I don't know where that is located in relation to the airport or Executive Rent A Car. Do you know if E-Z Rent A Car also delivers cars to you?

New York City
Level Contributor
200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Rental Car Agency

Hi Sunnyj

I have been renting cars for years in Cancun. Over that time different agencies have changed. Most recently i have rented from Easyway rent a car. Their location is on Route 307 just outside the airport. They pick you up and bring you to your car. A six day rental with zero deductable was $340.00. While it maybe true that your credit card will cover some part of the insurance package. It is also true that you will not leave Mexico until you have paid whatever damage cost you have incurred. Then you can try and recover from the card company. I recommend them. Top, and E-Z are part of America rent a car. I would not recommend them.

God bless

Carlos

6. Re: Best Rental Car Agency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, June 03, 2010