We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect repellent

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
portsmouth england
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Insect repellent

Do I need to pack insect repellent

We are going to Riu Caribe in September

My daughter has just come back from Playa Carmen and has loads of bites

Will it be the same in Cancu or will they midges have disappeared in September ????

Ta

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insect repellent

At your resort, and in the hotel zone, you should not have much (if any) problem. However, it is always good to bring some with you especially if venturing into the jungle. I recommend a product that has at least 25% DEET to give you the best protection. Have a great trip.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Insect repellent

Hi pompey_numnutz. I'd say pack some just in case. Better safe than sorry.

I could have SWORN I packed insect repellant ... but, once I started getting bitten, I turned my suitcase upside down and inside out and couldn't find it anywhere.

I'm not sure what was biting me. They were teeny, tiny little things almost imperceptible to the human eye ... but they left huge, red, really itchy bites that got bigger and bigger when I scratched them.

Oddly, we were in Playa del Carmen in August 2007 and I don't remember getting a single bite whilst there. At Moon Palace last week, I was like a human bug banquet.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insect repellent

We allways buy OFF when we are there, works great

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insect repellent

Yes we went last october and you need a good repelent I think the one we bought had 50% deet (bought in Boots)

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insect repellent

were they really bad @ Moon Palace? We are headed there next week. I know it depends on the person, I can sit out in our backyard and not get one bite and my husband will get eater alive. I just have a lot of events scheduled from 7pm on that are outside, wondering if I should rethink that?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insect repellent

yep boots have good deal at moment ...reducede prices on 50% deet or 3 for price of 2...always better to wear some i think just in case bleeders bite!!!

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Insect repellent

Hi, honey740! I definitely agree (and I think it's a scientific fact) that it depends on the person. For some reason, I was the person of choice on this trip. My kids got a few bites; my husband got absolutely none.

Hmmm. I don't know what to say about your outdoor events, except that there is no doubt that some folks will be eaten alive and others will escape scot-free. Maybe you could request some citronella candles? I think that might help.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Insect repellent

Where's my mind? I think I left it around here somewhere.

Take a lot of Avon "Skin So Soft." Yep, that should do it. Too bad I forgot about that before our trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Insect repellent

Even though they spray around the Hotel Zone for mosquitos, I always seem to get a bite or two. You are most likely to get bitten at the lagoon side restaurants and at night, between the hours of 5-9 pm. I highly recommend using wipes instead of sprays because you have much more control over where it goes, and I find it smells much better. On the topic of Avon's Skin So Soft, maybe it's just me but I never found that it works too well as an insect repellent, but it does smell good.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guidebook

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insect repellent

thanks peeples looks like i'm off to boots