We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to take kids on vacation???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
213 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to take kids on vacation???

Looking forward to our summer vacation for next June. We were wanting to take our kids (girl age 12 and boy age 5) to Mexico! This will be their first time out of the country and only 2nd time to the beach!! Husband and I satay in riviera maya this past June for our anniversary and loved it, but was thinking Cancun might be better to take the kids?? Any suggestions on what resort to stat at? We would want an AI. Wanting fun things for the kids to do (with us) dolphin swim, glass bottom boats ride?, etc. Thanks in advance!!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

Some great family AI's are Club Med, Crown Paradise Club, Great Parnassus, RIU Caribe, Cancun Palace, Dreams to name a few in different price ranges. However, you may want to stay along the top of the "7" or at the bottom (Club Med) as water is calmer for kids.

Montana
Level Contributor
844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

I am interested in these suggestions as well. We are considering taking our kids to Mexico for the first time as well. Either Cancun or Cabo.

As a couple we have stayed at Sun Palace and Playacar Palace before, but those are adult oriented resorts.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

I took my kids to crown paradise and it was awful. I am trying gran caribe real in november. But I suggest Club Med, Gran Caribe or Dreams

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

We took our kids last summer and stayed at the Riu Cancun. Am goin back next month w/o kids.

We took them (two boys, then 10 and 11 1/2) on the following excursions:

1)snorkeling on the little speed boats out to the reef.

2) swam with dolphins at the aquarium at La Isla mall

3) also got into the shark tank with them there

4) then we to them parasailing on the north end of the pennisula

They loved everything. The Riu Cancun faces north, so the beach water/waves are calm and great for snorkeling there as well.

Jason

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

Hi, my2cutekidz ... we just got back today from the Moon Palace (slightly south of the main hotel zone in Cancun).

This may sound odd, BUT .. even though the sea was unswimmable due to jellyfish and seaweed, we had a great time. Beautiful pools, including one just for kids. Playground, tennis courts, mini-golf, bike riding, evening entertainment which is surprisingly good, superb service, the friendliest staff in the world, extrmely clean and well-maintained, etc. They are currently offering several all-included excursions (Chichen Itza, Tulum, Isla Mujeres, Wet n Wild Water Park, Zipline); however, I don't know if those will still be offered next June.

You might also want to consider Playa del Carmen which is a bit farther south. We went there two years ago and stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya, which was great for kids. Wave pool, lazy river, tons of kids' activities. Also a great, friendly staff and extremely clean. Better beach/sea than Moon Palace, although rocky.

Hope you have a great time!

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

With kids the Iberostar hotels are great, the have a verry good kids club/entertainment team.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

Since you siad you were thinking Cancun, I only suggested Cancun resorts. If you are thinking Playa del Carmen, The Iberostar resorts are great as well as Sandos Playacar.

connecticut
Level Contributor
248 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

I agree with newtoplaya. We have been home for a week from Moon Palace. It was amazing! We liked it so much, we bought a membership (and we were not out looking for one either!). As newtoplaya said, the beach is not great. The sand is soft and beautiful. We spent our time at the pool and walked on the sand. You do have options if you want beach for a day though! Take the bus that Palace Resorts supplies to Cancun Palace! You can have lunch there AI works at all Palace Resorts, and enjoy a different Resort!

Lisa

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

Hi, taylorfamily ... are you still in withdrawal? I am suffering badly!

Congrats on getting the membership; we saw a lot of families signing up for it.

It's funny that you mention the Cancun Palace ... I had read on this forum that the beach/sea was better there, and everyday I said, "You know, we could hop on a shuttle and go to the Cancun Palace, swim, have lunch, whatever." If we had been able to stay one or two more days, we probably would have gone, but everyone was having such a good time at the Moon that we never made it. :-)

connecticut
Level Contributor
248 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to take kids on vacation???

newtoplaya

Am I having withdrawals? I am still in the forum, so I guess the answer is YES! LOL!

What a great trip! We loved the Los Tacos pool the best and I guess would pool hop from there!

Did you right your review yet?

Lisa