We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bay Area
Level Contributor
307 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

Payless and Europcar offer rates that are /substantially/ below those of other car rental companies (as in less than half). Has anyone rented from them? How was your experience? How much was the liability insurance you had to buy? I'm afraid that they make up for the low rates by having astronomical liability insurance.

thanks!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

I was coming here to ask the very same question. Why are their rates so much lower?

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

I come down 8-10 times per year. The below is what I have posted on my web site and what I suggest to my clients. I rented a car this trip 15 days $282. I had a brand new car 7000 KM on odometer. Check engine light came on after 7 days. I called company and they brought me out a different car to me at my condo. Never had any issues with these merchants, el mejor

Rental cars offer a convenient way to visit historic points outside the city at very reasonable prices. One of our personal favorites is E-Z Rent a Car. Another one of our personal favorites is Ace Rent a Car. They both have car rentals from $5 per day. Both of these places use Executive Rent A Car in Cancun, so not matter which one you rent from you will pick up the car at Executive, so go with which one is cheaper. Be advised liability insurance is mandatory with a car rental in Mexico at a cost of $11 per day. With tax and mandatory liability expect a little under $20 a day.

Do not take the collision insurance. Your major credit card will cover collision (check with your card company prior to departure). But most major credit cards will provide collision insurance for no charge.

Also both of these places take reservations online without the need of a credit card to make the reservation. I always take the cheapest car as you pretty much are guaranteed an upgrade at no additional cost. Also I suggest making your reservations and then check back often and especially a few days before you go check the rates again as they usually go down within a few days from departure. Then if rates are cheaper cancel existing reservation and make a new one.

Billerica, MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

Payless "Total Cost" rates are lower because unless you have Mexican liablity insurance, you must buy it - at about 50% more then what is posted on sites like Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz.

To discover this, you must multi-click into the fine print.

Hertz and other companies roll it into the bottom line.

It is deceptive to assume someone booking a car in the USA has this insurance. I am done with Payless forever.

And comparison shopping on travel sites like Expedia is useless unless you read each vendor's fine print. I am done with them too as they were unresponsive to my complaint ' "We are not responsibe for what is posted...."

Book directly with the car rental company.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

I rent from Europcar and they are great. I rent from nobody else but them, I really like the people on Kukulcan they are so nice.

Portsmouth, NH
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

This is an email I sent to Payless a week agao. No response yet. AARRRGGGHHH

Upon arrival to the airport, we were promptly greeted by your representative but then waited on the curb for a good 25 mins for the shuttle to arrive. Upon arriving to the rental location, we waited in line for another 25 mins. Once I was finally talking to an agent, I was disappointed to learn that there was a MANDATORY $10.99/day liability insurance that was not disclosed openly on my reservation. I was not alone because everyone else renting at that time was having the same issue. Another $100 added to an already expensive vacation.

After giving into the agent, I was presented with a 2001 Chevy Tracker with 115,000 miles!!! This vehicle was costing me $500 for the week and I probably could have bought this vehicle for about what I'm paying for a rental. The truck itself was beat up in every aspect and had scratches, dents, dings covering the exterior. I asked for a different vehicle and was told that this was the only SUV they had available. But again, with daylight expiring and a party of 4 getting restless, I reluctantly accepted this vehicle because there was nothing even close on the lot that could fit the 4 of us and our luggage.

After leaving the rental location, we realized that the vehicle had an 'ANT' problem. We noticed that the center console, front floor mats and dash were overtaken by ants. So the following morning, we left promptly to exchange/return the vehicle. On our way back to the rental location, the speedometer had also stopped working. We officially did not feel safe riding in this vehicle.

Upon arrival, the counter refused to cancel the reservation and said that I could terminate the rental, but would still have to pay in full for my original reservation. They said that I could only exchange it. Again, with my hands tied in a foreign country, with no extra $ to waste this $500, I again reluctantly took the replacement. This time it was a 2005 Chevy Tracker with 67000 miles; this one even more beat up than the first. A far cry from what I would consider a decent rental car option.

We used this vehicle for the remainder of our vacation. The speedometer on this vehicle also stopped working on our second to last day.

Overall, this was the worst Car rental I have ever had. I travel a LOT (platinum US Airways member, Enterprise Corporate member) and decided to try your company to save what turned out to only be about $75. This was obviously a mistake.

And finally, on my receipt, it shows that I should have been charged $475 but on my AMEX statement, it shows $525 as the charge. I would appreciate a response to this matter.

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

Payless charges $11/day for liability, which is required. Others like Hertz includes it in their rates. I've rented from Hertz every time and have never had a problem.

7. Re: Payless/Europcar car rental in Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 12, 2010