We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Beach restoration Program???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Swampscott...
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Question about Beach restoration Program???

I have been following the beach restoration post and have a question.

I will be in Cancun startng May 22nd (can't wait). Anyway, if the beach restoration program is in process during my stay, what kind of inconviniences should i spect?

I would like it to be over by the time i get there, but from what i am reading, it seems that i might get there in the middle of it.

I will be staying at the Royal Cancun... please help me ease my worries.

Thanks,

Playa

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

The program - of installing artifically, not naturally occurring beaches - is causing terrible environmental damage to the region.

Swampscott...
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

I am sure it is not a permanent fix, just like it wasn't the first time around.

But for now i am being little selfish and just thinking about what inconviniences i might come across if there while the work is being done.

Anyone that has witness this type of work can be kind enought and advise on this.

I appreciate it as i am paying lots $$$ for this vacation and would like to enjoy it. I don't normally care if the beach is wide enough, i am sure ther will be some space for me, but if there is constructions going on, than that is a totally different story.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Playa

3. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:28 am, April 04, 2009
Swampscott...
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

So no one has any insights on this???

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
5. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

Search Beach Recovery Program...

I saw a lot of info posted by a local and it was being updated with current info as available.

Cancun
Level Contributor
562 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

As a local I haven't heard anything major. I do not watch nor hear much news.

Last I heard they were actually bringing in experts to come up with the best solution with little environmental harm.

The problem is not just dumping sand on the beach. They are trying to figure out where to bring the sand from, and also how to keep the sand here. Don't quote me, but I think at some point I read that sand that was dumped earlier was pulled out to sea during a storm/hurricane and it had a huge impact on the local reefs. (I might be remembering wrong).

But to answer your question, I doubt there will be much inconvenience if any. Cancun is very tourist oriented, everything revolves around tourism.

Manny

CancunWithMe

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
7. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

Jim,

Do you have any updates?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,606 posts
159 reviews
8. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

From what I am reading , the sand is going to come from a dredging operation just north of the island of Cozumel. And, of course, environmentalists are claiming this will do damage to the area. Also I read today that the Cozumel mayor said he is undecided as to whether to endorse the project.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

Sorry I didn't answer right away. I am in Orlando working and didn't have access to internet until now but I will answer this while the 700 emails are downloading!

Update:

1.- The program is 2-3 weeks behind. They were scheduled to have picked the winning bidder and sign the contract by April 1. Since they haven't picked anyone yet and have rescheduled the signing for around April 28, I don't expect much to be happening in May in Cancun.

2.- There is no permanent fix for any beach anywhere in the world with global warming and sea levels rising (if you believe that)and with hurricanes happening from time to time (doubt if anyone can doubt that fact.)

3.- The company that did the rebuild last time said that the program wouldn't do any good if they didn't contract a maintenance program. They didn't and it didn't.

4.- Part of the new plan is to contract a yearly maintenance and sand replacement program to "top off" the beach every year.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,606 posts
159 reviews
10. Re: Question about Beach restoration Program???

More opposition is being organized on Cozumel by Citymar, an enviromentalist group, and others with a public rally to be held on April 8 in Cozumel. In todays Por Esto, this is a quote from the Citymar leader :

"Also people of Cozumel for the first time do not agree with that to draw so many cubic meters of sand, which is primarily for the benefit only to employers of Cancun, which is why the island does not have to solve the problems of the businessmen who destroyed his federal zone, which did what they wanted with it."

So from reading this and other articles, it appears the timing of the project may be far from certain.