We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

Hi TA Readers

What are the best things activites/ day trips non-swimmers can do?

We are both comfortable wearing life vests and in knee deep

water.

I would love to do the dolphin swim too.

Any recommedations?

I'm sold on the Xcaret and Jeep Adventure trips already and want to do a water thing one day. Done catamarran tours before and boat trips but wanted something different.

Thanks

Sam (London,UK)

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

I'm pretty much a non-swimmer, and I have been to Xcarat, Xel ha, jungle tour (yes snorkeling). We also have done horseback riding out onto the beach and a trip to Isla Mujeres- we didn't care for it much but most people seem to really like it. We also did the Jeep Adventure.

With a life vest on, you really don't have to swim. Xel ha was good because they have the lazy river intertubes you can float around on all day. The water is probably over your head, but you don't have to get off that intertube!

I've also done the dolphin swim at xel ha. The life vest is a life saver for those like us. Most of the time you are standing on a platform or out in the water with a goup of people. I did the foot push and was very nervous about being out there with no one near to grab a hold of, but I did it and survived (again- the life vests!)- it was a lot of fun.

I really don't like to be in water that goes past my chest, but if you want to do dolphin swim you will be in deeper water. Just wear your life vest and be brave!

London
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

Hi Roxian

Thanks for replying!

I've added Xel ha and the Jungle tour onto my list, so now its:

-Xcaret

-Xel ha

-Jeep Adventure

-Jungle Tour

Optional - Isle of Mujeres

I hope to do the dolphin orientation program early on in the trip

to get me used to the water...then do the Xel Ha trip.

Thanks again!

Sam

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

Hi, I am a non-swimmer who had a great time in Cancun; I did the dolphin swim - wearing a life vest - at la Isla, interactive aquarium, I felt safer in the enclosed water as I am rather frightened of swimming in the sea. Hope this helps.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

The dolphin swim at xel ha is technically considered "in the ocean", but let me tell you- it is more like a lagoon surrounded on all sides. There are other fishies (small ones) in the water with the dolphins so it must be supplied from the ocean, but it is more of a lagoon and the water is very calm- no ocean waves or anything.

I did the dolphin swim in Orlando at Discovery cove. It is a pool environment and very pleasing to look at- pretty colors, etc. The one at xel ha- being it is in natural water and kind of deep- is not the pretty colors. It is pretty dark water, but it didn't affect my lovely time.

Xel ha is beautiful, but the mangrove area where you enter the lazy river is absolutely breathtaking. It was crowded when I entered and no one else seemed to be in awe of it, but I sure was. I've been many other places and seen many beautiful beaches/water areas, but this entrance to the lagoon really took my breath away.

Its in the mangroves, I don't think you can even see the sky above your head, but the color and clarity of the water really was breathtaking. Its really narrow, surrounded by many trees, just gorgeous.

I took a couple pictures with my disposable underwater camera but haven't finished the roll off yet to get it developed. I can't wait to see how they turned out.

I've never really seen anyone else comment on this area, but if you go Sam, I'd like to know what you thought of it!

Bay Area
Level Contributor
582 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

roxian

You have replied to me before and after reading this I am tempted with Jungle tour. My only problem is since we are staying at PDC, we have to travel to cancun for Jungle tour.

Is the ocean calm enough there? I have emailed Brant and asked him if the guide will lend a hand but the way you say, do you just stay at one place and snorkel. What if you are tempted to move around. How will you adjust mask if water gets in?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

ppxyz, the jungle tour does stay at one place. I'll give you the long version..

You start off in the lagoon. We took the speed boats, and everyone on here says they are funner than the jet skis.

The guide tells you to 'KEEP UP WITH HIM OR ELSE.....". That was right up my boyfriends alley - but not mine. I was more than a little scared during this boat ride. There were some stragglers in the back and the guide kept turning around motioning for them to catch up. He finally had to have us stop dead in the water while he went back to get the others and remind them to "KEEP UP". lol.

You ride all thru the lagoon (which is calmer than the ocean) and then you get to some mangroves where you have to slow down, no wake. You see pretty birds, wildlife, I'm sure there are crocs in there, too.

When you exit the mangroves you are at the end of the lagoon and enter the ocean. I didn't notice it being that rough, after all when you are going that fast on the speedboats you are in the air most of the time!

You go out just a little ways until you are at the reef. Here you will see other companies and boats all tied up together. Your group will tie all your boats together and you jump in from there. That was the first time I snorkeled and I was very nervous- not a good swimmer, dont like deep water, but I braved thru it. The guide was great, stuck close to me. He had some fish food that drew a lot of fish around us. You'll be floating along and all of a sudden the reef is all the way up to your stomach!

You all have to wear life vests so its no problem just floating there if you need to adjust your mask, etc. Oh, and they provide you with flippers, too. They also had someone out in the lagoon taking your picture while you boat back in.

I forget how long we stayed out at the reef, maybe 45 minutes or an hour. Needless to say, I had had enough excitement way before everyone else and I, of course, was the first one back in the boat.

I am a big chicken, but I am glad we went. We did have a lot of fun and everytime we go back (3 times since then) my boyfriend always recommends it to everyone at least once.

You won't get bored just stopping at one place, there are a lot of fish out there and you aren't there for that long.

If you have any more questions just let me know.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
582 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

Thank you roxian for a long review. it really really helps.

I have to decide abt this in the next 2-3 days.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

Just my humble opinion of course but anyone that

is a self avowed "non-swimmer" and that is only

comfortable in " knee deep water" has no business

being in deep water, life vest or no life vest.

The waters in the Caribbean can be very dangerous

for everyone, let alone the non swimmer. They're

no place for non swimmers to be risking their life or

a potential rescuers life in due to some vacation trip

lure of fun and adventure.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Activities for Non-Swimmers

Here is my advice,

Sit on the beach and LOOK at the water, drink 10-15 of the wonderfull blue drinks(still cant remember their name) and eventually you will THINK you are in the water and have wonderfull memories.