We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

IF you had a choice which would you choose?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,871 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

Riu CAncun. Our experience is that I had booked the Riu Caribe, and we got a free upgrade to the Riu Palace, much to our surprise. We spend one night at the Caribe, and it was nice, but Riu Cancun just has that WOW factor that the Caribe did not. I know that they all get very good reviews, so I'm not knocking Riu Caribe in any way. We didn't stay long enough. We visited the pool area and hotel while we were at the Riu Palace and thought the Cancun was very nice. Plus, at teh Riu Cancun, you can walk to many bars/clubs/malls/restaurants, which we found nice. We did this every day.

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

thanks!!! it nice to hear from someone that has stayed there!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,871 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Riu's. I was impressed with them completely!

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

thats what i have heard!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

It depends on what you're looking for. If I had to choose between the two and my kids (2 & 4) were coming along again, I would choose the Riu Caribe. If it were just my hubby and I, I would choose the Riu Cancun.

The Riu Cancun is newer and does have an incredible WOW factor. We liked the Riu Caribe for it's remoteness and the pool and beach areas for the kids.

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

thanks for the info--The Riu Cancun was cheaper the the Caribe

Va
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

I have stayed in both. I would go with the Riu Caribe, especially if you are going between Oct-Feb time period. The hotel blocks the sun at the Riu Cancun.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

Whoa sungod- no one has mentioned that! I am trying to get in the Cancun, should we stick with Caribe? how significant is this blocking of the sun (in November?)

thanks

Va
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

Yeah tins, November is a bad month to stay that the Riu Cancun. If you look back through the reviews, go back to reviews posted around Nov-Feb and you will see plenty of complaints about the lack of sun.

Indiana
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun?

I saw that complaint about the Caribe also? Is it worse at the Cancun? As long as the sun is out until late afternoon I'm ok with it.