We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are not strong swimmers but..

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
uk
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
We are not strong swimmers but..

...we would love to have a dolphin encounter, try scuba diving and i have read something about underwater caves that sounds really good. Should we try these things? If so does anybody know the best place to do the dolphin encounter and scuba dive?

cleveland
Level Contributor
912 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are not strong swimmers but..

Before you scuba, why not try snorkeling? You won't need special training or certification. In Cancun, you can snorkel off-shore...or take a ferry to Cozumel and enjoy some of the best off-shore snorkeling in the world. Many people there even wear floatie devices to help them in the water...

Can't help you with the dolphin thing.

uk
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are not strong swimmers but..

Thanks that helps. I never thought about the floaty things!

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: We are not strong swimmers but..

Dolphin Swim - Interactive Aquarium at the La Isla Shopping Centre in the hotel zone. $120 for 55 minutes out of an hour in the water swimming, getting a kiss, a hug, and a foot push from them.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are not strong swimmers but..

Since you are not a certified diver, I would recommend Manta Divers and their Discover Scuba Course. They will teach you the bare bones basics about diving safely in 60 minutes and then take you on a dive.

If you take their course and want to do additional dives, you can without having to do the full certification.

They are one of the most reputable dive shops in Cancun and you will see them mentioned time and time again at all the dive messege boards.

Here is the link to the webpage that talks about their course.

http://www.mantadivers.com/beginners.htm

uk
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are not strong swimmers but..

Thanks everyone! Cant wait to try it all out!

UK
Level Contributor
268 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We are not strong swimmers but..

cookie1981, weak swimmer here too but swam with dolphins at La Isla, snorkled on the Jungle Tour and again at Xel-Ha. Don't need to be able to swim as all insist on you wearing life jackets at all time.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We are not strong swimmers but..

Cookie- I'm a weak swimmer too. I was nervous about the dolphin swim (did it at Discovery cove in orlando first). It turned out fine and they were great with me. Did it at Xel ha this summer, too. You will be fine with it. I was a little more nervous here because the trainers don't actually get in the water with you there, and the foot push was great, but I will admit I was scared about it! I got a big wave of water up my nose as the dolphins went under and behind me to get started- so I was in "panic" mode for the first few seconds.

Snorkeling at the parks is pretty easy because the water is calmer than the open ocean. Several years ago I did snorkel with the jungle tour which is open ocean- I swallowed a lot of sea water as that was my first time snorkeling, but it was awesome.

I make sure I wear a life vest or belt even if it isn't required. You don't really have to swim at all that way, you just float around.

Have fun!