We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito's in Cancun???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Regina, SK
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito's in Cancun???

We're heading to Cancun next week and a friend of ours mentioned that she read somewhere that the misquito's are insane in Cancun right now, any truth to that? She also said that wearing misquito spray (Off) doesn't help. We've been to mexico before and I've never had a bite by anything not even a misquito.

California
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

I don't think mosquitos are a big problem in the hotel zone, but when you stay at the more remote areas in the jungle there are lots of mosquitos and other bugs.

I counted over 40 bug bites last month when I stayed at Aventura Palace. I only got 3 at Sun Palace and none at Beach Palace.

Mosquito bites disappear after 3 days, but the worst bug bites ever are the "no-see-ems" or chigger bites. These bugs hide in the grass and if you are so unfortunate as to step in to nest of them the bites will itch and swell for 3 or more weeks.

Chiggers are rampant in Cancun, my advice is to stay off the grass and stay on the walkways. Google chiggers.

The bug spray in Cancun is much stronger than even "Deep Woods Off" so I recommend buying it there, get the yellow and red can.

Regina, SK
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

Thanks for easing my mind. My buddy is a very paranoid traveller. Now if I can just reassure her that we don't need Malaria pill! lol

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

We go in Jan. Stay in the hotel zone. NEVER seen a mosquito.Never bring bug spray.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

Spraying in the Hotel Zone and Eco Parks is common for most mosquito types and annoying critters but after rainy periods, along the lagoons and in the tropical forest/jungle areas, bugs are a fact of life, use repellents when in these areas. Mosquitoes can also be active in lawn and foliage areas at Resorts/Eco Parks, and some Mosquitoes are active during the day, in fact the Mosquitoes, many are most concerned about in the Yucatan, is a day feeder.

Florida
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

We just got back from Aventura and I did get bit quite a few times around my ankles, not sure what kind of bug but I don't think it was mosquito. When we went to Tulum we were told to bring bug repellent which we did and I did not get bit at all.

Last year at Sun Palace, no bites, but there is more vegetation and ponds at ASP. I would not worry too much about it, unless you plan on spending a lot of time outside at night.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

Yep, just got back a few hours ago and I've got 10 bug bites on my legs :( Take care out there guys those bugs are hungry!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

DTORRE...where did you stay?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

DTORRE...where did you stay?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

it said "posting failed", so I sent it again...guess it hadn't failed! Sorry for the double posting.

Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito's in Cancun???

Don't know if everyone does this but we were advised to have Hep A/B shots before we go--Twinrix--and it also protects against typhoid. Don't think on the infectious disease maps I've seen that Mexico is considered a risk for malaria. Probably just being a ninny but the last time I was in Acapulco I picked up a nasty viral meningitis (many, many years ago) and don't want any repeats. It shook us up when we saw a medical tent right in the departure lounge of Acapulco airport.