We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montezumas revenge.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
vacaville,ca
1 post
Save Topic
montezumas revenge.

leaving sunday to cancun. staying at palace las americas. anyone heard of

not eating certain foods there like seafood or using ice. or is this just something

to be careful of when you leave the resort. let me know. we are very excited and

I hate not to be able to eat good food or drink blended or mixed drinks....

thank you in advance.

julie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
529 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: montezumas revenge.

Like most hotels I am sure they use filtered watered through the hotel You shouldn't have anything to worry about. I have been 4 times to Cancun I eat all the food including seafood, and I drink all the mix drinks nothing has happened yet

Stamford, CT
Level Contributor
329 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: montezumas revenge.

Best advice I can give is to start taking Lactobacyllis (also known as Acidophylis)...spelling isn't great, but go to your local drug store. You can buy it over the counter....it's usually in with vitamins. Start taking it about 5 days before you go. I PROMISE you won't have a problem! I liked it so well, I take it every day now.

I got the advice from someone else before I went to Mexico. I'm not afraid to eat or drink anything there now....NEVER had a problem. People I went with did have a little problem, but I gave them some of my lactobacyllis and it cleared right up. I just swear by the stuff now.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montezumas revenge.

in general, in the hotel zone the water is OK, outside of it ... use caution.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: montezumas revenge.

The hotels purify their own water. Be more cautious of raw fruit or vegetables. And they all sell bottled water so you'll be fine.

5. Re: montezumas revenge.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:58 pm, October 06, 2004
Halifax West...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: montezumas revenge.

Last year everyone in our hotel that went on a trip to Chichen Itza were ill except my hubby and another man. We put it down to the salad as it was the only thing they did not eat. Totally ruined my hols as I could not eat or drink without visiting the toilet. All the hotel guests who did not go on this trip were fine!! It has not put me off and I planning to go back in a few weeks. If I eat outside the hotel it will have to be a good restaurant or I will just eat crisps and biscuits.

I usually avoid any raw food like salad and fruit if peeled. Take it easy first few days. We tend to go mad drinking more alcohol and different foods. Sometimes I have been upset just by this alone. Also avoid mayo etc if not in little packets as flies are attracted to these items.

Use common sense with food, leave undercooked or cool food alone. We have travelled the world and get so mad when you see the guests at buffets. They spread problems by not washing hands before touching food etc. In barbados in May we actually saw a guest tasting the food and putting the spoon back, I am not joking!!

Enjoy your holiday

Julie UK

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: montezumas revenge.

We've been to Cancun 4 times without any MAJOR problems. I would suggest taking some Immodium with you just in case.

The hotels have water purification systems but many still suggest drinking bottled water instead of the water from the bathroom faucet in your room.

If you are staying at an All-inclusive, be careful if you are eating food from the buffet. Some of the hotels aren't careful with the food served at their buffets - sometimes it's uncovered and other times it's not kept at an appropriate temperature.

Many people get sick in Cancun because they drink much more alcohol there than they do at home (I am speaking from personal experience). Use good judgement and you'll have a great vacation.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: montezumas revenge.

I have a feeling that some people get sick because at home they drink bottled water, rather than regular tap water, and becuase of that they are exposed to less irritants in the water and can't battle it when they don't drink purified water. Just a thought though. I will definitely be drinking bottled water in Mexico, and bringing along my immodium just in case!