We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
E-town
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

OK, my fiancee and I are headed to Cancun on Sept. 12 for a nine-day honeymoon.

I've been spending much of the past few months planning our wedding and a wine tour for 20 of our friends, which means very little time for Cancun planning.

Now, with a month left, I'm ready to foucs entirely on Cancun.

We are staying in a junior suite at the Cancun Hilton and plan on keeping a lot of our trip open for maximum relaxation and flexibility.

What are your thoughts on what I need to be doing to ensure an enjoyable trip?? This will be our first trip to Mexico so I could really use the help!! :)

My first two purchases are going to be Brant's 2-for-1 card and a private transfer from the airport. Any recommendations on a transfer company??

At first I wasn't planning on booking any tours before we left, with the thinking that we'd no better if we were in the mood for those things once we were down there. Now I'm leaning towards securing one just to have one less thing to worry about. Does that seem smart?? Which one should I book?? The Jeep Tour sounds fun. Do you drive the jeeps yourself, or do they have drivers?? Xel-Ha is something we'd like to do, too. Any advice there?? Should it booked in advance?? Has anyone ever booked that through Brant??

Any other general advice would be greatly appreciated. This forum is great and will do my best to return the favor once we return.

Virginia
Level Contributor
556 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

ICroupier: CONGRATS on your upcoming marriage. You will not be dissapointed with Cancun. It is a super and fun place. I have been lots of times and just took 18 friends again last May. I purchased Brandt's card and used it for 8 people to do Dolphin Swim at La Isla Mall (Interactive Aquarium). He is the only one offering discount to this Swim. Brandt also offers airport transportation.

Definately book Joe's Jeep Tour!!!! Book prior to your departure and Joe is flexible if you need to switch your day once you are in Cancun. Book via his website: jeepadventures.com.mx and copy down his cell phone # for contacting him while in Cancun. Yes, you drive the jeeps. Usually 4 people to a jeep or you can ride in Jeep that Joe or Carlos drive.

I've always visited Xcaret park, but I understand Xel-Ha is just as nice....... actually better snorkling at Xel-Ha. But, Xcaret has more to see + do and has the incredible Night Show.

No matter what, I am sure you both will LOVE CANCUN and will return many more times. Don't try to do too much. Enjoy the pools and beaches. I'm sure you will need the relaxation.

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

Congrats on the wedding. We went to Cancun last Aug. and are returning the 28 of Aug for 7 nights. You will not be disappointed. Be sure to visit Jimmy Buffett's Margarittaville, everyone needs to eat a Cheeseburger in Paradise. Trust me by the end of your trip you will be ready for a REAL BURGER. The food in the hotels is great, but you can only eat so much of the buffet.

Try to ride the banana boat if you see one. It cost about 15 bucks each, but we had a blast. The Jungle tour was ok, but I wouldn't kill myself to get there.

The beach is wonderful....Watch out for the people selling stuff the jewelry is not real and you can get them to come way down on the price. They will ask you for $20.00 for a pair of sunglasses, but we paid $5.00. And you will need a dark pair the sun is so bright.

Enjoy, you will have the time of your life.

Seattle
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

Prepare yourself to be hounded by timeshare sharks. Just ignore them. Do not let them get to you. As you are standing in line at the airport (tired and hot) wishing it would move faster, just think about that first drink you will be having at the Hilton when you get there and try to go with the flow. Remember, you are on an adventure. Have a great honeymoon.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

You will love the Hilton and your junior suite!

I wouldn't book any tours ahead of time- been there 4 times and we never do except for maybe the Jeep Adventure- maybe book that ahead, or as soon as you get down there. They do have limited availability.

All the other tours, you can book up to the day before.

After retrieving your luggage and "pushing the button" at customs, dont' talk to anyone until you get outside the airport. They are all timeshare people and they are quite slick.

Every time, the Hilton has been the first stop of the transfer service for us. There are usually about 8 people in there and it is great to be the first off! In June, we landed around 11:00 a.m and we were in the hotel lobby checking in by 12:15- of course this was a Wednesday- not a weekend!

Your view from your room is so awesome you wont' be able to take your eyes off of it! Have a wonderful time!

E-town
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Roxian

What transfer service did you use?? Why wanted to go the private route just so we didn't have to wait for a bus to fill up or wait out a bunch of stops. If we could find a decent 8- or 9-person transfer that would drop us off first we'd probably go with it. We're gonna pay like $60 for roundtrip private transfer, and I'm assuming this would be cheaper.

Thanks.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

We used Best Day this last time because it was included in our package.

Summer 2003 we didn't have any prearranged service, we just went out front of the airport and someone approached us and we said "yes". It was one of the same size white vans, but turned out he didn't wait for anyone else, as soon as we got in he took us to the hotel. I don't remember how much- it wasn't cheap, maybe $30 or $40. Then on the way back we just got a taxi from the Hilton- that was less expensive, I think maybe $20.

I've heard cancunvalet.com is good, and Best Day was good for us. It is nice knowing you will probably be the first stop from the airport no matter who you go with. And upon leaving Cancun, you will most likely be the last people picked up on the way to the airport.

I'd say check the prices for both of these companies. We used cancunvalet for cell phone rental and they were very good and quick about answering e-mails and questions. I've heard Brant's is good, too.

Most of these companies probably use these vans. Once we were actually on a bigger bus, it was thru Apple Vacations. It actually wasn't that bad, either, because it filled up quickly and AGAIN, we were the first and last stop.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

Congrats on the marriage.

- Be sure you have the appropriate travel documents with you.

- Notify your post office to hold mail unless you have someone to take care of that for you.

- leave your contact info with your emergency contact at home.

- If you are a US citizen, register on the state departments travel site. (This is not a necessity, but a good idea)

- If you are taking ATM card, credit cards, be sure to notify the bank and CC companies of your travel plans.

- Leave a copy of the ATM/CC and any important papers with the emergency contact

- All prescriptions in ORIGINAL bottles

- keep a written copy of an eyeglass prescription.

- Put a copy of your travel itinerary in an outside pocket of your suitcase.

Orlando,Fl
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

karenjme----

why the eyeglasses prescription??

California
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

Because, I think, if you break your glasses you can get new ones without having to also have an eye examination.

Bye!

E-town
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The 1 month countdown: What do I need to do??

Thanks for all the congrats and information everyone.

So, here's where I stand with the airport transfer. Cancun Valet is $65 for a roundtrip, private transfer. Best Day is $17 per person for roundtrip, group transfer.

Anyone with personal experience with either of these companies, what could I expect?? Is saving $31 with Best Day worth the hassle of putting up with a group transfer??

Thanks for your help.