We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing DOs and DONTs...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Packing DOs and DONTs...

I'm leaving in about 3 weeks, and am planning a packing strategy...

1. What should I be sure to pack that I would have otherwise left at home?

2. What should I take out of my bags and leave at home because there is no need?

3. What's with the rules these days on what I can and can't bring with me in checked/carryon luggage?

Thanks for all of the input in advance!

terre haute, indiana
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

pack a change of clothes, including swim suits in your carry on. if something happens to your checked bag, it maybe a day before you get it. don't take too many shoes! do take a pair of sneakers for excursions to the ruins.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permi…

Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

I'm usually a pretty heavy packer. It can get embarassing and out of control at times. I'm just trying to figure out what I can go without.

everett wa
Level Contributor
816 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

This is what I didnt use in Cancun 5 days ago: jeans,long sleeved shirts, a jacket or coat or any kind,flat iron for my hair(dont even bother)and gym clothes(yeah,right.) This is what I wished I had more of: Suncreen, bathing suit sa-rongs or wraps, and super skinny hair serum. -Bad hair days were daily..

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

You should probably take half the clothing out of your bag -- you won't be wearing as many outfits as you think you will.

Take some extra large ziplock bags for wet suits for the trip home.

Pack some bubble wrap in case you bring home breakables.

If you leave something at home you wish you'd brought with you, you can always purchase it when you get there.

Idaho
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

Things I took on my first trip that I didn't need:

clean socks for every day(went barefoot or sandals every day)

4 pairs of shorts, only needed two

extra long pants, only wore them on the plane

extra tank tops for just in case, could have rinsed them out in the sink if there had been a need

fancy dress, in 5 trips I've never "dressed up"

shoes to match each outfit, one white or beige would work

blow dryer, hotel had a good one

bathrobe, hotel provided one

Various toiletries that the hotel provided

If you are comfortable with the idea you should post the name of your hotel and people who have stayed there can help you with what your hotel provides so you can eliminate those things from your luggage.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

Pack LIGHT. I limit the amount of cr@p I am willing to drag around to 1 suitcase of 30 pounds. Anything more is work, not vacation.

Don't ask question #1- you'll end up taking stuff you don't need.

#2- leave expensive, irreplaceable stuff at home, esp. jewelry.

Notify Cr. Card Co. & banks to allow Mexico charges.

Have fun-Debbie.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

Have cell phone activated for Mexico calling.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

I'm stealing this from Ladybird... pack some single use packets of Tide or Woolite. This way you can cut back on certain clothing items. I also found a travel sized bottle of fabric refresher. You can find this stuff at Wal-Mart or Target in those bins full of travel sized stuff.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing DOs and DONTs...

If you are staying at an AI, it is a good idea to take insulated cups for cold drinks. They serve everything in small plastic cups and ice evaporates immediately. You don't need anything huge and they can be stuffed with socks inside your suitcase. I would ditto all the advice about packing light. I always pack too much if I wait until the last minute. If I lay it out day by day, I do better. Since we spend most of our time in bathing suits, I really want 5-6 suits so I don't have to wash them. Shorts or capris can be worn more than once since you don't keep them on that long. Sarongs and wraps are great, but are also a fun thing to buy there, so don't worry about running out to buy more before your trip. A good pair of walking tennies and a couple pair of socks will last a week. Mostly need flip flops/sandals. If you have a cute pair that will double at the beach and for dinner, so much the better. Take plenty of sunscreen in different strengths, you can buy it there but is much more expensive than at home. I like to carry little plastic jars of Almay non-oily eye makeup remover pads in my beach bag. With the salty air and sand, it is great to have something handy to wipe your face and especially under your eyes before applying more sunscreen. Hubby likes Hawaiian style shirts for over his trunks to and from the beach and I find he definitely needs one for each day and then a change for dinner. He typically travels there in Dockers and then we hang them for if he needs a pair of long pants for dinner. If you don't take enough clothes, you can always send some items out for laundering and it is not that expensive. Do be prepared for them to arrive back a day later than promised.