We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue4

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Blue4

My, my, my

Busy little fingers:

"In fact, they don't mind letting you know when something is offensive to them. Give them credit and their dignity as being human beings and not being known as just poverty stricken slaves.

I guess I gotta pull rank on you again. But this note will also contain some useful info about the Maya.

I have been impressed by the Maya's reticence and unwillingness to criticize others. One reason for this is the small-village ethos and the knowledge that the "nail that stands up will be pounded down," (borrowing from the Japanese but they are a good comparison.0).

I can't count the times I have seen people come into a Maya town or gathering and run roughshod over them. My "American" sense was, of course, to intervene and shake things up. But my professional sense told me to shut up and let the Maya (3,000 year-old society) handle things.

Now, leaving the transitory hurt aside that they suffered being dissed, the Maya almost ALWAYS prevailed in the long run. They simply did it quietly and let time turn the issue to their favor.

When we have a few drinks they laugh about the Western world and remind me it will be gone long before they are.

glasgow
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue4

any other hobbies?

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue4

Blu4

Sorry, but you just gotta help that kid learn the language:

"......your point is mute!"

The term is "moot." It is often misused, as you did. It means, "subject to discussion."

I am doing child-care too. We adopted my granddaughter 5 years ago and she and I were in our study village for two weeks in June.

It is 5 hours from Cancun, in the middle of the forest, desperately poor, and marvelous in so many respects.

Now she knows a few things. She knows what it is to be around people who are ALL quiet, kind, and unfailingly generous.

Of course, she saw nothing of Cancun (although we flew there for the cheap airfare) and she never will.

I chat with many, many great people on this Forum about the Yucatan and it would be nice to meet up with them. But I won't subject my kid to boobs. Hee Hee

Sometimes I just slay myself!

3. Re: Blue4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, August 10, 2005
San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue4

Yea poppa, and did you noticed he took his photo off???

DT

JJS
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue4

hyphanted????? Get that man a suppository.