We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had the recipe for this amazing drink. There is a recipe on these forums for Mayan Coffee but it is not the one served at Excellence Playa Mujeres at the Agave restaurant. I would love to be able to make this at home. I remember it had:

Dark coffee, ice cream, brandy, rum, coffee liquer, an anise flavor liquor, etc.

It was prepared by dipping the rim of the glass in sugar and putting the rim to flame to carmelize the sugar. Of course, each liquor was lit on fire and poured into the glass followed by the ice cream and coffee.

It was amazing.

I would appreciate if anyone could share the exact recipe, especially the ratios.

Thank you,

Mike

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
968 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

another coffee drink I enjoy is one I found in PV... 1/4 cup of liquor from the big fat naked lady bottle, 1/2 cup of coffee and 1 big scoop of vanilla ice cream. YUM!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

Mike

Can't tell you the ratios but I do know the liquor with the anise flavour is a honey based liquor. Cannot remember the name even though I read the whole history of how it came to be according to the folklore.

Good luck in getting the recipe.

liverpool ny
Level Contributor
824 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

OH, yeah! That stuff was soooo good! Can't help you with the recipe but wanted to tell others on this site to make it a must if they are going to EPM!

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

Mike,

Xtabentun, the name of the honey liquer. It was very sweet.

If you don't get the recipe ratios before the end of October I will pay more attention when we order our next Mayan coffee then and will reply to this post.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

I don't know but we were just at ERC and I am just kicking myself for not trying this. We never even stepped foot in Agave. We are next year though - everything we missed including windsurfing etc. we are doing in 2009.

That sounds yummy.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I swapped email addresses with a waiter at the Lobster House (Javier) so I am going to ask if he can try and get the recipe for me.

Here is a short clip of our Mayan Coffee being presented:

…google.com/mike.pasquariello/Mexico2008#524…

and two pictures of our awesome waiter at Agave, James.

-Mike

Smyrna, Delaware
Level Contributor
256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

Ivan at Agave making Mayan coffee. This waiter was great. He received the largest tip of our week there. Even James stopped by and mentioned that he was the best at the Mayan coffee presentation.

tripadvisor.com/…18228702

Omaha
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

While in Cancun, go to El Mortero restaurant. It is in the heart of the club area but next to Bulldogs and NH Krystal. It has Mayan Coffee, authentic Mariachis and the traditional Mexican food with a romantic astmosphere. My clip of the waiting making the coffee is attached.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\Dinner and Cancun Night Life\100_427

Saskatoon Canada
Level Contributor
391 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

If you happen to be in Playa del Carmen, try Ajua. At that restaurant they actually set up a ladder and one guy stands at the top, one guy in the middle and one guy at the bottom with the glasses.. They flame the liquor and then pour it from the top of the ladder to they guy in the middle to the guy on the bottom and then into the glass. Pretty impressive!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mayan Coffee Recipe from Excellence Playa Mujeres recipe?

If you want to duplicate at home it also goes by Mexican or more usually Spanish Coffee. It was quite the rage here a couple of decades ago (like Martinis are now).