We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping and Wage Question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Regina,Sask
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping and Wage Question

A common statement in the reviews on this forum make reference to tipping the staff because they make very little in wages. I would like to know how the posters know what the hotel staff wages are. Are the wages paid to hotel staff below the national average pay scale for Mexico or are the wages being compared to the wages paid in your own country?

Do you base your tipping amounts on the wages people receive or the service provided?

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

I always tip based on service, nothing else.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

Service provided....what someone's wage is has nothing to do with tipping. You tip for service.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
380 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

Personally I don't really look at how much they make. I know that an average housekeeper makes no more than 500 dollars USD a month, and that is for 40 hrs per week. Management makes anwhere from hundreds of thousands of dollars down depending on resort.

In my opinion, if someone gives you superior service, then they deserve a good tip. Believe me you will find great service usually in Mexico, and it usually depends on the Resort also on level of service. I usually take anywhere from 200 to 400 dollars depending on where we are going for tipping.

Hope that helps,

Rlouisa

South East London!!!
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

Tipping is an enormous state of subjective thinking and subjective actions.

I myself tip on the receipt of good quality service where an individual has gone out of their way to help me or provide a service to such a high standard that I have taken note of it , however some people tip at everychance. I must admit my attitude to tipping may be tainted because I am from the UK where tipping is not as prevelant as many other nations.

An example of high quality service was at the Moon Palace where the bell boy struggled with our 16 pieces of luggage by himself. That type of service deserved a tip. However I refused to imitate other guest who handed over a tip for a bottle of water or an individual glass of coke. It is so misleading when you stay somewhere that states tips are included and then you have guest handing out tips and in turn staff expecting tips.

I can only presume that those people who tip each and every person unbiased on the service they recieve , get some type of "good samaritan" euphoria or maybe it is the old colonial spirit that comforts them as the confirm their superiority over the "lesser" people who wait upon them.

Northern California
Level Contributor
626 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

I tip based on service. I know tips are included at Palace Resorts, but when I tip and I see the smile on their faces, it makes me feel good. I know their standard of living is well below mine, so I know that what's just a couple bucks to me is much more to them.

Now, I don't tip wildly or for every single thing, such as a bottle of water, but when someone goes beyond what I expect, I always show my appreciation with a thank you and a tip.

This year at Moon Palace we were taking a golf cart back from the spa. We told our driver that we really wanted to see a crocodile. He drove all over the place showing us the best places to see crocs as well as telling us about other wildlife there and pointing out things. He then pulled over and pointed out an Egret on the edge of the lake. It had to be 4 ft tall. It was so camophlaged we never would have seen him.

He then drove us all the way back to the Grand section instead of the usual Sunrise section to take a bus back to Nizuc then another cart to Grand.

He was totally entertaining and gave us lots of info about the resort. After our 30 minute personal nature tour of the resort, we did tip him $10. He reacted as though we'd handed him $100.

So tipping when we get exceptional service, you bet; tipping when we're treated well, absolutely; tipping for lousy service and a bad attitude, never. I take about $150 for tips for the week and usually use it all up.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

WOW, Kingpin you are really jaded.

I am one of those people who tip after a bottle of water or a single beer. Not because of my sense of superiority, but because I'm nice.

I think you may have put too much thought into this and let your pessimistic side cloud your answer.

Some people are just nice and tip quite a bit-nothing more, nothing less.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,344 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

We have this ongoing struggle on the NY forum with the people from England and some parts of Europe where tipping isnt normally done because employees are well compensated for those jobs. In the United States, a tipping culture, we know restaurant servers are paid less because its understood that they get tips for good service. Therefore the employee has incentive to provide better service to the customer. Its the way it is in our cultures and visitors to Mexico, the US, and any other country where its normal should be willing to adapt to the custom.

I am not saying to tip for bad service - we never do. But, I would guarantee you wont have bad service in Mexico, especially at the all inclusives you are all discussing. The employees will do everything in their power to please you. This is a generalization I feel comfortable making after yearly visits to Mexico since 1986.

When a nationality becomes known for refusing to adapt to the local customs, everyone with a similar accent suffers. Restaurants here will just say they have no tables available to visitors from England instead of subjecting their employees to catering to a group of 8 who keeps them running, then refuses to tip because they dont do that at home.

then again I dont stay at all inclusives, so expect to tip

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

This link provides detail on Mexico's Labor Laws:

http://www.mexicolaw.com/LawInfo11.htm

"There is a federal listing of minimum wages for general and specific categories of work. These categories minimum wages may vary depending upon the economic region of the country (geographically identifiable)."

Some of the items that I have found to be somewhat unique are that employers MUST:

"The Mexican Federal Social Security system is funded by a mandatory charge paid by the employer, calculated on the salary paid to the employees. This money is to create social security hospitals and staff them , in order to provide full medical coverage to the employees that are registered as employees (being paid for by their employers).

The employer is required to make contributions to the Mexican federal Social Security (IMSS), the Living Quarters Fund (INFONAVIT) and the Retirement Savings System (SAR), as well as payments for vacations, vacation premiums, and year end bonuses. These benefits represent an average of 29% of the salary that is paid. Thus, the salary is 129% of what you state as the base salary."

In addtion to the above, the Hotels also must provide the workers with any necessary/required uniforms, their meals during the work shift and transportation to and from the work place to a reasonable location near to their homes. Some of the larger Hotels even have their own busses identified as transport for their own employees while some smaller properties provide bus fare.

Many of the workers in the HZ are represented by Unions.

Oh, not to be forgotten from the above link,

"PROFIT SHARING

Employees are to participate in the earnings of their employees [sic, believe this should be employers], based on the percentage determined by the National Commission for workers' Participation in their Employers' Earnings.

This earning is to be distributed among the employees of the employer (that are working for the employer or worked for the employer for 60 days or more during the period corresponding). the distribution is to be made within 60 days following the date in which they are to pay their annual income taxes.

This profit sharing is in the sum of 10% of the earnings for the fiscal period (calendar year) and is to be divided in equal shares among: (1) the first half to all employees, taking into consideration the aggregate number of employees that worked for the employer during the year, without taking into account the salary they earned; and 92) the second half is to be divided to the employees in proportion to the salaries they earned during the year.

Those business that are of recent creation are exempt for this profit sharing for the first year of their business activities. The company/business directors, administrators and general managers of the employers are excluded form sharing in this participation, even those it is common to see that they get an automobile, year end bonus and assistance in the purchase of a home. This profit sharing is not used as part of their salaries in order to determine the amount of their participation in this profit sharing."

Hope this helps.

Regina,Sask
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

From what I read in Cancunmole's info. employees working in the hotels in the tourist hotel zones are, or should be, getting an adequate wage plus many social benifits plus financial benifits when considering the whole area of the Yucatan area.

Maybe I am reading too much into his info.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping and Wage Question

Duckster- if that's how you feel then don't tip. Most of us tip based on service, not on wage...if you tip on wage, and feel that their wage is high enough then don't tip.

Do what you want...bring tip $$, don't bring tip $$, tip for each drink, tip every couple rounds, tip the maids, don't tip the maids...it's your $$$ and your decision.

I can say that I rarely see people tipping at AIs, when I say rarely- I mean like 5-10% of the time.