We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Cancun wet bar pool

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu Cancun wet bar pool

Im all for people having a great time on holiday,but after reading about the wet bar pool at the Riu Cancun beggers belief........Does anybody want to swim in a disgusting cess pool???? obviously some guests do

Myrtle Beach, SC
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Cancun wet bar pool

I understand where your coming for here, at the same time, thats what chlorine is for.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Cancun wet bar pool

Hi,can only go what reviews say,sounds more than your box standard swimming pool pee !

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Cancun wet bar pool

Unfortunately many resorts have this problem. And it is not just at the swim up bar!! So gross to think about but when you see people drinking all day and they don't get out....well don't even think about it!! That is why they put lots of chlorine in the pools at hotels and resorts. You know kids are doing the same thing!! I think the wilder the resort and the resorts with tons of kids, the more common this probably is!!! Sad but true!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Cancun wet bar pool

I've stayed at the Riu Cancun twice and never saw this problem at the swim-up bar pool...but I travel in September when there's less people there, so maybe that's why. I'm also not one to go looking for problems so maybe I missed this. I think sometimes when people are seen for long periods of time in the same pool, others assume they are peeing in the water. I can't imagine they are watching people for hours on end to see if they get out of the pool to go to the bathroom...if so, they need more to keep themselves occupied! And when the pools close so early at 7:00 pm for clorination, people might assume the pool was contaminated and that's why it's closed so early, instead of just for routine maintenance. JMO

oregon
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Cancun wet bar pool

Stayed at the Riu Cancun in May and did not step foot in the swim up bar because it was YUCKY. The other 2 pools next to it were always cloudy and could not see the bottom ever. The pool over on the other side was the cleanest and had the best bartenders nearby. We spent most of our time in the ocean.

I have a pool and they obviously do not use enough chlorine because the pools were never clear except for the one on the other side. They treat the pools at night and that is why you can not swim after 7:00. I can't imagine what they put in them and even in the morning they are not clear. You would think that for how often this topic comes up they would get someone who knows something about keeping a pool clear. We swam in the RPLA next door and it was heavenly clean and not crowded. Would definitely stay there when I go back to Cancun.

Riu Cancun is a nice hotel but 3 of the 4 pools are gross and to small. There are better pools out there!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Cancun wet bar pool

I would be at the poolbar every day between 10 and 10:30..when it opened..water was always clear..got out when we had to "go", and while not totally keeping tabs on others, they seemed to get out too..we would usually leave that pool around 1 or 2ish as it got shady..not for gross reasons...just our experience.

7. Re: Riu Cancun wet bar pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, October 03, 2009