We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Canada from Mexico?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Calling Canada from Mexico?

Is there some kind of phone card I can get that I can call from my hotel to Canada?

Thanks!

:)Electrakte

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Canada from Mexico?

They sell phone cards basically everywhere. You can even get them in your hotel's gift shop. Make sure you go to the pay phone to use your card or you will charged hotel phone charges on top of the minutes used with your card and it won't be cheap so just just walk outside your hotel and use the pay phone that' s what I did.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Canada from Mexico?

Whatever you do, DO NOT use that convenient little button on the phone with a Canadian flag on it to call collect. It will be $10 a minute. Trust me, I learned the hard way! LOL

If you are going to be calling home alot, you can rent a cell phone from cancunvalet.com. They charge something like 65 cents a minute (min $5 a day) and you get phone # so anyone can get a hold of you at any time. It's a great deal.

If not, phone cards are the best deal, but I've heard many many stories of them not working. I had trouble too which was why I ended up using that convenient little button.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Canada from Mexico?

Awesome! Thanks so much. :) I will definitely buy a phone card. I just want it in case of any emergencies etc.

:)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling Canada from Mexico?

We have always used our sprint calling card and used the telemax pay phones.There rates were reasonable.This time we used Telus and no problem because you go threw Canada Direct but you must use the pay phones.Check with your phone provider what their rates are in Mexico