We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets: Excellence or Capri?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Shorewood, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets: Excellence or Capri?

Which one is better? Anyone been to both and can comment? My heart is broken because we can't take our honeymoon now to Aventura Spa Palace (8/15-8/21). So, I need something that is comparable.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets: Excellence or Capri?

I have been to both:

Short remarks on difference:

Capri: Private concierge on each floor is very nice, many of the lowest prices tropical rooms actually have a partial ocean view. Smaller resort, more of a boutique style, I thought drinks were better at the Capri, great Mudslides and Melon Sours, less walking to restaurants and pool. Ver good food. Free shuttle to Playa del Carmen. Well managed resort. Great staff.

Excellence: Huge resort, rooms are a litle bigger, you can get room service without them coming into your room as they have a secret door area where they leave your meals. Incredible pools, nicer spa. More restaurants, food if very good especially at the French restaurant. Better entertainment.

Both have great beaches for sunning and walking. Neither that great for swimming. Frank the Travel Agent.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets: Excellence or Capri?

I have also been to the Aventura Spa Palace, one day I got really sick a couple of hours after having lunch at this resort. Way too quiet for me. Nice resort, nice rooms, nice pools, no beach at all. Plus the timeshare sales people drive you crazy all day every day.

geneseo, IL
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets: Excellence or Capri?

fgoss, question: how is the beach at these resorts? we have stayed in Cancun and love the water. I have heard there is a big difference in the water here? Is this true? thanks

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets: Excellence or Capri?

julie, Secrets beaches are great for walking, for swimming not that great, beach as Excellence is very wide, well at least it was!! however, the resorts are terrific. We had a great time at both. The Aventura Spa Palace has no beach.