We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI's vs Cruises as far as food

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
AI's vs Cruises as far as food

I have never been to an AI before, but have been on a few cruises. (Royal Caribbean, Princess). I was wondering if food at AI's are comparable to cruises? I enjoy food and don't want to eat cold greasy stuff all week.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AI's vs Cruises as far as food

Like a cruise, you get what you pay for as far as room type and food quality. I have taken cruises where the food was excellent and I have been on others where it was just okay. I can say the same for All-Inclusive resorts as well. If you are looking for special AI resorts that serve excellent food, I recommend the following:

Le Blanc Spa Resort-adults only property

The Royal in Cancun-adults only property

Riu Palace Las Americas-also check out the sister resorts Riu Cancun and Riu Caribe.

Dreams Resort-known for their on-premises dolphin swim sessions and multiple beachfront property.

Golden Parnassus-adults only

Bel Air Collection-very nice beach, spa and high quality food for the lower price. This resort is located far south in the Hotel Zone.

There are dozens of other resorts that are also AI in Cancun's Hotel Zone. I would like to let others put their suggestions in the mix for you as well. Have fun selecting the best AI resort for you.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Guide & Survey Book

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI's vs Cruises as far as food

Its hard to compare really.

The dining experience on the cruises with 6/7 course meals isn't seen too often at the AI's.

Most AI's will offer a main buffet restaurant along with a few a la carte speciality restaurants. Some hotels will require that you make reservations at the a la cartes and may restrict your number of visits.

There are often complaints of the Buffets becoming monotonous. I think the big problem is that you tend to have a little bit of what you fancy rather than selecting one meal from the choice available, which then of course you tend to eat the same thing almost every night.

The quality will vary from hotel to hotel some is wonderful others not so good.

The advantage though is if you don't like something just leave it and pick something else, or go to one of the hotels other restaurants!!

We are going to Dreams, and went to Dreams PC in Feb, the dining options were fabulous, from French a la cart, to take away pizza. They had a BBQ on the beach everyday.

From what I hear you get better quality service and food at the Adult only places rather than family orientated hotels. I am a few years off that yet!

I am sure you won't go hungry.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI's vs Cruises as far as food

I've been on Princess and Royal Caribbean , both 2 times or more.

I've never like the buffets on any cruise ship. But the dinner in the main dining rooms on Princess is the BEST.

The All inclusive resorts I liked their food was:

Riu Palace- great buffet, ala carts, not so impressive. (Riu Palace Riv. Maya, & Riu Palace Mexico in PDC)

The Royal in Cancun- NOT impressed at all with their small buffet-it was sufficient. The ala carts restaurants were much better than the buffet.

Iberostar Lindo/Maya- Not impressed at all. Ala Carts were hit & miss, went from awful to really good.

So, it's really a Informed guessing game. But, definately go high end, adults only.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI's vs Cruises as far as food

IMO, food on cruise ships has declined dramtically over the past 7-8 years and now to get a great meal one has to pay extra (on both Royal and Princess, IMO).

I prefer the food in the very high end AIs like LeBlanc and the Grand to cruises - except top notch luxury ship s like Regent.

The food at Palace and other AIs in this category (my opinion any my experience) is largely pre made and the taste reflects that.

That being said, I am done with cruising because of too many kids and too much nickel and diming everywhere.

5. Re: AI's vs Cruises as far as food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 06, 2009