We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

message from Cancun 01:09AM

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
message from Cancun 01:09AM

From website http://help.stormcarib.com/read.php?5,336

Re: Emily quickly moving into Cancun

Posted by: Karim von Alvensleben (IP Logged)

Date: July 18, 2005 01:09AM

It's amazing but we still have light! The gusts are getting consistently stronger and we are now having water coming in from underneath the door. Unfortunately the local radio station with all official warnings, advisories, bulletins, etc, has gone out completely so I'm relying on infrared satellite imagery I'm pulling off the internet to figure out what's going on. But I'll only be able to do so for as long as we have power.

As far as Tulum goes, I can't tell exactly what they're going through. They should be getting some of the worst of it right about now as the eye approaches the coast to make the landfall. The storm surge here was expected to be of at least 10m (30ft). 12 ft waves could be seen in the Hotel Zone in the afternoon... The surge is precisely the reason for which Puerto Juarez was completely evacuated a few hours ago.

As to whether or not to cancel a diving trip for later this week, it's a tough call. I really would encourage all to keep coming here in an effort to support the local community which lives predominently off tourism. However, I don't know what the Hotel Zone will look like tomorrow. My advice is wait until tomorrow to find out what it's like and then make your decision.

OK, have to leave you now. Winds are getting seriously high and trees are bending over. Will keep updating for as long as I still can.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

I think this website is going to be very important for information. I would suggest bookmarking it for future reference. Besides the bulletin board, different posters in Cancun and Cozumel have posted since the hurricane started.

Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

reinarubia,

How is everything now in Cancun? Have you got news about the 3 waves? My family is at the hotel area and I can't sleep until I'm sure the place is safe. Hope you're fine e everybody can sleep well after this night.

Tom SP-SP

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
957 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

Lois...don't trip...I have been watching footage & it looks like the hotels are taking good care of the tourist. ur fam is fine I am sure

kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

any new re playa del carmen? thanks

Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

Thank you, JK8A

But have you seen what is on hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/regions ?

They're saying for people to be on alert about these 3 waves.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

I am not at Cancun. I am in Georgia. I copied and pasted this message from the website stormcarib. The message was written Karim von Alvensleben (IP Logged)

I just posted a new thread that has a chat site for Isla Mujeres. There is useful information there that you may want to read through the current postings.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

The three waves are future possible tropical storm formations in the Atlantic Ocean, not waves heading for Cancun.

kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

reinarubia....thanks for all info....what do you know abt playa del carmen? bless you

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: message from Cancun 01:09AM

I just posted a new message from this same person that was written not long ago. Refer to the thread named Message from Cancun 3:22

If you haven't done so you should go and read what has been posted so far and read the reports with pictures.

http://help.stormcarib.com/read.php?5,336

I am going to lie down for a while. My understanding is there is a newscaster from the Weather Channel that will be broadcasting live from Cancun at 6:00 am EST.