From website http://help.stormcarib.com/read.php?5,336
Re: Emily quickly moving into Cancun
Posted by: Karim von Alvensleben (IP Logged)
Date: July 18, 2005 01:09AM
It's amazing but we still have light! The gusts are getting consistently stronger and we are now having water coming in from underneath the door. Unfortunately the local radio station with all official warnings, advisories, bulletins, etc, has gone out completely so I'm relying on infrared satellite imagery I'm pulling off the internet to figure out what's going on. But I'll only be able to do so for as long as we have power.
As far as Tulum goes, I can't tell exactly what they're going through. They should be getting some of the worst of it right about now as the eye approaches the coast to make the landfall. The storm surge here was expected to be of at least 10m (30ft). 12 ft waves could be seen in the Hotel Zone in the afternoon... The surge is precisely the reason for which Puerto Juarez was completely evacuated a few hours ago.
As to whether or not to cancel a diving trip for later this week, it's a tough call. I really would encourage all to keep coming here in an effort to support the local community which lives predominently off tourism. However, I don't know what the Hotel Zone will look like tomorrow. My advice is wait until tomorrow to find out what it's like and then make your decision.
OK, have to leave you now. Winds are getting seriously high and trees are bending over. Will keep updating for as long as I still can.