We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American express travelers check card?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Harlem NYC
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
American express travelers check card?

hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has used this or not. I am still unsure of wether or not to get one. Is american express valued in cancun as it is here? I'm really too afraid to use my debit card and im looking for another way to take money.

NJ
Level Contributor
610 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American express travelers check card?

Hi Nybutterfly/

I am looking into taking the Visa Travel Money Card from AAA. They probably both work the same way-you put a certain amount of money onto it and it works like a debit card with a password so if it is lost noone else can use it. Also the Visa card only has a $4.95 activation fee and you can reload it with money up to 3 times at no additional cost. There is a $2.00 fee for withdrawing money from an ATM. I definitely think we are going to get it for our trip. I don't know if Visa is more widely used than American Express or not in Cancun, but I would check with AAA about the Visa card.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American express travelers check card?

takeing 3/4 of amy cash on one nybutterfly.

Harlem NYC
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American express travelers check card?

i think the visa one would be a safe bet because visa is accepted everywhere (not saying amex isn't). i just dont want to take cash or use anything connected to my bank account.