We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

I'm not going to be around much more tonight but I wanted to pass along the very latest. The news is not very good. Emily is back to Category 4 strength, and now the forecast models are trending the storm back North again. This places Cancun on the more dangerous part of the storm track.

Current projections suggest a landfall closer to Cozumel, maybe even a little further south. Let's try to push this baby as far southward as we can.

At this point in time, I would seriously recommend people leaving soon to strongly consider rescheduling. I would wait another day if you can, and wait for another update or two, but the news does not look very good right now, and you do NOT want to mess with a storm of this magnitude.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

RobertSDF -- You stay safe as well, my friend! Looks like you might end up with the worst of it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

Current thinking is a landfall around 10:00 PM Sunday night, give or take a few hours.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

I'm out of here for the night, Lisa, Canuck, RiverGirl, CancunJoe, KaraokeJoe, RobertSDF, Jimincancun, and anyone else LIVING down there, please feel free to e-mail me for updates if you need them. I know it gets cluttered reading through all this stuff, and I'd be happy to send you e-mail reports.

I don't want to exclude those who are vacationing down there from receiving emails, but in the interest of time, I simply cannot do so....Plus, our thoughts and prayers should be going out to the fine folks who live down there and contribute so much to this board and to our vacations! You guys are the best, please be safe!

Mark (aka weatherdood)

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

bump

Denver
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

Dood -

The lastest advisory to which you refer has Emily taking a DIRECT hit JUST to the south Cozumel (forecasted at 20.10 N, 86.40 W, in 36 hours from now).

However, currently, hurricane force winds extend outward from the center of circulation up to 45 miles.

As is the usual case, the strongest of these winds will be in the northeast quadrant of the storm.

Emily is going to have to move WELL to the south for Cancun, and other regions, to avoid these strongest winds.

My wish is that we push this baby to the north.

Just my two cents.

nj
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

I am taking a vacation w apple vacation due to arrive on Sun at 9am . How can a get intouch w an appple represenitive? unfortunately i did not take out insurance and my travel agent said the only way to reschedule is if apple cancels. thank you

Indiana
Level Contributor
508 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

NJbulldog,

Look in your travel information. There mey be a phone #, or a web address you can refer to. Good luck!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

dood and "denver"

how close is xpu-ha palace resort to this area?? Have trip on 24-31 there, those are bungalow type buildings... anyone know how strong those are built and would it hold up in this?

I have no trip insurance

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

Wait for your airline to cancel, believe me they probably will soon. If they cancel you have been saved, then reschedul. The resort where you are staying is in Playa area almost a direct hit so far. Either way it isn't good. As for how strong the stucture is, probably pretty good but if it is a 3 or 4 when it hit land fall, it could be deadly for you and your family. I wouldn't chance it.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Friday Night 10:00 PM CDT -- Hurricane Emily Update

thanks weatherdood for the info! my prayers are with all the people who live in cancun and cozumel area..! like lisa,cancunjoe ectr! be safe !!

paty.