We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancun beaches

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
highland, il.
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cancun beaches

hello everyone, I have looked for posts about repair on the beaches. I talked to my friends at Barcelo Tucancun and most of the beach is gone. There is about 15 ft. left. They don't know when it or if it will be fixed. Does anyone out there know anything. I will be at the Barcelo in Oct. (can't wait). and hoping there will be a beach to play on. Why does this happen? Char

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
605 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancun beaches

Bad news there is no way that beach will be fixed by Oct. Actually I doubt there ever get that beach to what it once was.

highland, il.
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancun beaches

Why do u say that?

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancun beaches

Considering all efforts are already under way and have been for quit sometime, There is a very good chance the beach will be fixed by then.

highland, il.
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancun beaches

idkayor, When did they start the repair? What end did they start at. This would be great if the beach at Barcelo was done when I get there. I could get real excited. lol. I so do love the beach at day brake. And thanks for all info that u can give me. I wonder if the is a web page or somethink that I can go to. CHAR

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancun beaches

It began in either Feburary or March. There are some pics on various resorts that show the progress. I believe there are a few on the Royal.

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancun beaches

Yes if you click on the Royal Cancuns link and look at the traveler photos you can see that there has been a great deal of progress already, which leads me to conclude that they started at the top of the 7 and are working there way down. If this is indeed the case then Barcelo is in a perfect position to get their beach back quickly.

7. Re: cancun beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, June 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancun beaches

I went to one of the "restored" beaches at the Great Parnassus last June, and while I appreciated the effort that the Mexican government has made to restore the beach, the quality of the beach was very poor. The sand washed in and out with every tide, the quality of the sand was brown and rough instead of the white and soft sand of the pre-hurricane beaches. There were large boulders exposed up and down the beach. This allowed more beach erosion to occur, and made for very rough swimming.

For me, I come to Cancun for the beaches. If I want a nice hotel, I can go to Miami. I think that the hurricanes have wounded the beaches, along with the developers that have chosen to build right down to the edge of the ocean, destroying all of the sand dunes and removing the sand necessary to replenish the beach by Mother Nature. I doubt that pumping up sand from the ocean floor will prove to be a long term fix.

We will have to wait and see if Cancun's beaches can ever recover to their former glory. They used to be fantastic!

usa
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cancun beaches

sad.. Tucancun used to have a GIANT beach.

I read that cancun palace has no beach at all. I was getting excited as it looked like it was coming back but the last few reviews says other wise.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cancun beaches

Any beach recovery work being done now, such as at The Royal and the Gran Caribe, is being done by the hotels themselves.

There is currently a government proposal for a $100 million USD beach recovery plan over 10-years that is awaiting federal approval, and may start as early as October 2008.

www.CancunBeachConditions.com