We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather forecast

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
london
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Weather forecast

I have been looking at the weather forecast for when I am in Cancun (12th-19th June) and it has forecasted thunderstorms all week - is this really that bad out there at the moment?

Liverpool
11 posts
1. Re: Weather forecast

Hi,

I read one post where a girl from Mexico said to ignore the weather forecasts because as soon as hurricane season hits they just say storms all week as a precaution & to cover their own backs!

So I pay no attention to them any more I found this great webcam from coco bongo's & just keep my eye on that every day http://www.earthcam.com/mexico/cancun/

Last week seemed to be tropical rain on and off all day but the past few days seems to be glorious sunshine! I'm going on the 17th June so I'm concerned about the weather also.

Hope this helps.

Beckville, Texas
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Weather forecast

I could put this on my clipboard and use it virtually any day of the year--unless there's a hurricane close by.

slight chance of rain every day of the world, but if it does rain it won't last over 10 to 15 minutes. It could rain at one place but the sun be shining half a kilometer up the beach. . .or it could be shining right where it's raining. like the Wizard said. . pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. . or in this instance those who, in Mexico, are called "mentirologicos"

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Weather forecast

Hmm. Aren't we in the Rainy season now?

Anyway, I usually take a look at three different weather sites and just pick the one I like best. Rain goes away as quickly as it comes on in Canun. It's the tropics, thunderstorms are common in the heat of the day (and a welcome cooldown), or in the late evenings. It's not uncommon at night to see lightening across the night sky, but no rain.

the three sites I use:

accuweather.com

wunderground.com

weather.com

I find weather.com the least accurate, and accuweather the most accurate for our fall trips.

New York City
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
4. Re: Weather forecast

I'm going to cancun this saturday the 7th, i've been dying to go on this trip for too long, i truly hope rain does not ruin it for me.

i will keep my eye on that coco bongo cam for the next 2 days!! =]

Bay Area
7 posts
5. Re: Weather forecast

We're in Cancun right now, and the weather is PERFECT!

I lived in the South Pacific for many years and can say that tropical forcats are all the same...chance of thunderstorms/rain everyday. Thats why its the tropics!

We had a passing shower this afternoon that lasted a grand total of 15 minutes. It was nice because right afterwards, it really cleared out the pool and beach, so we essentially had the entire beach to ourselves. Can't beat that!

Unless there is a tropical storm or hurricane, DO NOT worry about the Cancun weather!

York, Maine
Level Contributor
909 posts
83 reviews
6. Re: Weather forecast

I am sitting in the lobby of the Riu Palace right now looking ou the window at sunshine w/ puffy white clouds. It was a PERFECT day and guess what? The forcast said 60% chance of showers....I'm a deep brown right now and loving it. Ignore the forcast and just look forward to your trip : )

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
128 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: Weather forecast

I cant believe the number of people who are clueless about how tropical weather works... :)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Weather forecast

I was in Cancun last June and of course the the web site said rain rain rain. Guess what folks? It rained ONE day for 10 Minutes! We had the best weather ever.

I looked at the same web site while I was there, just for kicks and it said rain even though I was there and there was not a rain cloud in sight.

Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Weather forecast

I also noticed on the weather website that is said rain for a full ten days... But it is tropical weather and hopefully come 6/21 it will be clear.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
183 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Weather forecast

Not to be a downer BUT...We just got home from from Cancun last night and what crappy weather WE had! We were there from Thursday the 29th in the late afternoon until Tuesday mid-day. It had just rained Thurs. when we arrived and was clearing up so we had a pretty nice afternoon that day but then...RAIN and WIND on Friday, RAIN and WIND on Saturday, RAIN and WIND on Sunday, overcast but and windy but clearing on Monday and when we wake up Tuesday morning...the day we leave Cancun...GORGEOUS in every way. My husbands brother was there to get married in the gazebo outside of the JW Marriott on Sun..they had to move it to a different inside location due to the wind and rain. Soooo, I truly hope it turns out better for everyone else than it did for us!!!