We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, 1st Time Flying!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Detroit, Mi
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Help, 1st Time Flying!!

My girlfriend and I are going to Cancun in January. This will be her 1st flight ever (I have flown dozens of times). She is pretty (very) nervous about the flight. What tips do people have for flying. To avoid air sickness and calm nerves. (Her doctor has offered to prescribe a few valium if she needs them.). Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, 1st Time Flying!!

I suggest you keep her mind busy, keep talking to her, tell her you love her, how beautiful she looks, how you can't wait to see her in her bikini in Cancun, etc. Just keep a positive attitude and keep her distracted!

Also, on the plane, try to bring cards, a portable DVD player, books, MP3 player w/headphones, etc to help her pass the time. If she's afraid of heights, don't let her sit next to the window unless she wants to try to overcome her fear.

You know it's safe, and unless there's a lot of turbulence, it should be a pretty smooth flight, so keep reassuring her that it's a really fun way to travel and she'll want to do it over and over again!

Good luck!!!

DaddyO

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
chicago
Level Contributor
460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, 1st Time Flying!!

Big Dog that was me a few short years ago,first the flight is really short and usually non stop from our part of the U.S. also my Dr. gave me 2 wonderful meds one is calles Meclizene and the other is the lowest dose of Xanax I take 1 of each and I am FINE my husband could not belive it after all the years of torture I put him through having to sit next to me on flights!!!Now I always take them also they are good for boat trips etc.and they don't make me feel weird or nothing just a little sleepy but thats good on a plane.Also remind her that she will be in paradise soon FUN SUN AND THE OCEAN enjoy

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, 1st Time Flying!!

Sometimes taking medication makes one sick if they've never taken it before. Maybe she should take a dose before the trip to make sure it agrees with her. You don't want her to be sick when she gets to Cancun....it can ruin a trip. Been there, done that.

SC
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, 1st Time Flying!!

I agree that she should try any meds before the actual fly date. You can also get Dramamine over the counter which is for motion sickness but it also takes the 'edge' off and does make you a little sleepy. The 'worst' part is usually take off. This would be the best time for her to be putting in her BEST CD and doing some deep breathing. Once the plane is out of the full throttle mode she will ease off. I would not recommend the window seat at all if she is this nervous. She may want to try it on the return home.

Carrollton, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, 1st Time Flying!!

The first time I flew was to London England, 8 hr trip. I get car sick really easy and was extremely nervous about flying that far. As it turned out, if I could look out the window I was in awe with the beauty of the earth from this view. I took dramamine, which helped alot. When we flew to Cancun recently I was again nervous, but booked a window seat, which made me feel better. My doctor gave me Atavan, which helped me a little as well. I never got sick and sat at the window. I just kept thinking to myself what a wonderful time I was going to have where I was going, and upon my return I thought about seeing my family that I missed so much. Let her get up and walk some, this will help with the boredom as well as listening to cd's or watching a movie.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico