We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fruit safe to eat in Cancun?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fruit safe to eat in Cancun?

I have read on several messages that the fruit is wonderful and the best in Cancun. However, I just heard from someone yesterday that a friend of hers went to Cancun and they all got sick after eating the fruit b/c it had been washed in the water at their hotel. Any info on if the fruit is safe to eat without getting sick would be helpful...

Georgetown, Ontario
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fruit safe to eat in Cancun?

Hey Klossja,

I have always been on the safe side. Stay away from fruit that you have not peeled yourself.

Don't know how the fruit has been handled or washed.

Stayed at the Crown Paradise one year and was floored!!! The guy (Cook, Chef, Prep whatever) finished taking his bio-break and just walked out without even washing his hands.

The beach is not that much fun when you have the poops.

Joe

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fruit safe to eat in Cancun?

No one wants to get sick on vacation, however, most if not all of the resorts wash all the fruit in an antibacterial solution. Most of them wear plastic gloves also when serving. I always eat fruit in Mexico, but I am careful when buying from street vendors.

Cancun. Mexico
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fruit safe to eat in Cancun?

You can purchase a small amount of fruit and vegetable antibacterial stuff and use it on any fruits or vegetables that are not peeled. We ahve lived here 6 months, treat all our fruits and vegetables with this antibacterial and have NEVER gotten sick. louisagow@yahoo.com

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fruit safe to eat in Cancun?

Thanks to everyone who replied. We leave tomorrow morning!!!! Cancun here I come!!!!!!!!

Flint, MI
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fruit safe to eat in Cancun?

Fruit is safe to eat in the hotel zone resturants. You should have no problems there. DON'T EAT ANYTHING FROM STREET VENDORS. You'll be asking for stomach troubles.