We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Vaccinations - any advice??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Hi,

I've not been to see my GP yet and no-one was available to answer my questions on the phone.

I've heard it's advisable to get the following vaccinations:

- Hep A

- Hep B

- Typhoid

- Tetanus

- Rabies

Also, Malaria tablets are advised!

If anyone from the UK has had these, please can they let me know how far in advance you need them, and if they were costly?

Much appreciated! Mango :-)

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Dear Mango:

I am assuming you are going to Cancun and staying at a reputable hotel/resort. I am also assuming you got all of your "baby shots" when you were growing up.

I would look at this vaccination thing in the same way as if you were going to Florida. For the 40+ yers we have been going to Jamaica, almost all of the Caribbean Islands and Mexico. Never had any additional vaccinations, and that includes me, wife, and two kids. No one ever got sick with anything those vaccinations would guard against. Malaria! that is a screem! Rabies, unless you are a dog. Tetanus, unless you are going to step on rusty nails, etc. Typhoid as far as I know is already in your baby shots. Hep B is hard to get, unless you are doing things with a person that has it. And now, Hep A could be an option. I got Hep A in Eastern Europe, eating undercooked meat. Never in the Caribbean.

Take my advice and drop the issue of vaccinations, but go the search window on top of the Forum page and type in Vaccinations. You will get so much more information.

Stop the worry, start the fun!!!!

PS: If you wander somewhere into a dive and eat and get a problem with your tum-tum, none of the above will help you. But at the resorts, you have almost a 99.9% guarantee that everything is safe, including the water.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Hi Rack,

Think you're reponse came off a tad harsh - sorry if I've misinterpreted it!

I only ask because everyone in the UK I know who has travelled to Mexico has had their shots - and the ones I have listed is on our national health website as recommended.

Malaria is a low-threat - but is it worth the chance?

I have been to Florida 3 times, and have never been advised of vaccinations, but Mexico appears to be different.

I'm just basing my advice on health websites.

Yes I've had my baby shots, and the follow ups, and I'm pretty sure I've had a Hep B shot before - although cannot remember why! Lol! Think it was because I was working in a dive!

The tummy issues I am prepared for - as with anywere - immodium and plenty of fluids!

Cheers for the input! :-)

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Mango - if you go to a doctor and ask them they will say take every shot imaginable. Heck, if you go to a car showroom and ask them whether you need a new car what are they going to answer?! You're right though - most Brits will go to a doctor who'll look up Mexico in a book, grin evilly and get out the needles.

No malaria in that area for years, no fatalities from Malaria ANYWHERE in Mexico for over 25 years. If you are going to have anything then Hep A might be worth it. Still, the chances of getting any of these diseases are infinitesimal compared to drowning in the hotel pool, getting run over by a Cancun bus, etc. Statistics prove that drinking on vacation is 1,000 times more likely to lead to injury than any of these tropical diseases - and are you going to stop drinking??

I'm English and lived in Mexico for 10 years with no shots - still not got stricken yet (although I did have a cold once).

At the end of the day - who do you trust? Your local GP or some nutter on the internet like me?

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Dear Mango:

Thanks for your reply. No I was just trying to say what I think and had experienced. No way trying to be harsh, etc. If you feel that, then VERY SORRY.

Also, a recommendation on vaccinations from the PH people I feel apply to ALL of MX. And that is why I said that I assume Cancun. If you were going to a village somewhere in the jungle, I also would recommend all of the above, as well as the malaria.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Rack - lol no offence taken - misunderstanding!

Please excuse my ignorance to the trip advisor lingo - I'm new - but what does PH mean?

I am blonde and very tired, and my powers of logic are not functioning as they should!

Lol! I get the messages too about the doctors trying to make money from you, but I have a medical exemption - so that may well cover me, so they wouldn't necessary get much money out of me.

Also, I hate the thought of putting a price on your health? If that makes sense?

I'm always cautious over careless! Lol :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Hi, for travel to Mexico from UK - you will need Hep A, and be up to date with Tetanus,polio,diptheria and typhoid. (If you have had all your childhood immuniations you will be up to date.) No malaria needed.Rabies not needed -If you get bitten by a dog with suspected rabies you should seek immediate medical attention. Yellow fever compulsory only if travelling from an infected country.(not UK) Your GP or practice nurse will give you these. Most are free of charge. You will need these at least 6 weeks before travel. None are compulsory. Hope this helps. Denny

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Hi dennyDenny,

Really appreiate your input! Am getting mixed messages from tonnes of people like at home and on the net, travel agents etc.

As above, most people who have been before are saying not to bother, and I have just called the travel agents, and they advised me to go the doctors, but i asked for her "personal" opinion and she said she'd been before and wouldn't ever bother with the vaccinations.

I am up to date with the school injections - always had all of those, and I'm pretty sure I've had the Hep B one before - but need to check, and I would be tempted to get the Hep A as a precaution!

When you say you didn't have to pay, is this because you are exempt, etc? Because I have been told there is a £50 charge for it! SO need a bit of clarification on that!

But really appreciate your info! Cheers! :-)

Washington
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Hello, I am a nurse and I just got my shots for my trip.

If you are staying within the hotel zone.....

Make sure you are up to date on your tetnus

Hep A

Hep B

Washington
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Sorry, Not Hep B.

Just tetnus and hep a.

Getting some Cipro for Travelers diarrhea would be helpful also.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK Vaccinations - any advice??

Hi Krysteena,

Thank you so much, really appreciate your input!

It's a sticky issue because you're not naive enough to think that the doctors won't rip you off but at the same time, you really want to be ok!

So thank you - the advice is much appreciated!

And yes, I'm staying on the hotel strip!

Have a safe trip! :-)