We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive certification in Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dive certification in Cancun

Here in OK its about 300 bucks to get certified. Well I'm staying at the Riu Palace and it says that you can take a beginning dive course for free. Does this mean they certify you? Do you really need certification to dive in cancun? Is taking this class enough? thanks all!

Dallas
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dive certification in Cancun

Does everyone not like me or something?

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
573 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive certification in Cancun

i read somewhere on here that you need to be certified padi before they will let you go, and i really honestly dont think that the free swimming pool classes are enough. Its really your life in your hands. i took the course about 10 years ago and its not a simple thing, my course took me a couple of months.

hope that helps.

Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive certification in Cancun

The beginning dive course offered by the hotel will not get you certified as a diver. If you are REALLY interested in becoming a diver, I suggest getting certified. If you're interested but not sure if diving is for you, then I suggest taking the discover scuba course from one of the Cancun dive ops. It will take a couple of hours of your vacation time and if you complete that, you'll be able to make some shallow dives (25-30 feet) in the ocean afterwards. It will give you a good idea of what scuba diving is like and if it suits you, you can get your certification. Once certified, you can dive anywhere, anytime.