We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to handle $$$

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Auburn, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to handle $$$

Hello

I am leaving for Cancun on Friday and am wondering what is the best way to handle cash? I know that I should convert to pesos, but should I get cash at a bank when I get there using an ATM (is that possible?) or writing a check?

? Traveler's checks?

? use credit?

HELP!!!

Thanks

south carolina
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to handle $$$

Hi Tippin velvet,

What worked for my son and i. We spent 8 days there i brought with me $150.00 in one dollar bills for tips. I also used travelers checks to exchange for pesos. I do not believe you can write personal checks. You can use the ATM machine but keep in mind the full amount you enter will come out in Pesos. I prefer NOT using ATM. If you carry cash do not take large bills. I did not have anything over a ten dollar bill. I was able to exchange my travelers checks as needed at the HOTEL. The exchange was good 10.80 to the dollar. You may find a place to give you a few cents more than another but thats it. When using your money remember to PAY for items in PESOS and use your one dollar bills for tips. At the hotel i would put $3.00 inside an envelope everyday for the maid. For room service i would tip $1.00 and $2.00 for those that would carry my bags. At restuarants i would give 10% of check in Dollar Bills. All tips were well received by everyone. The bartender i would give $1.00 every other drink. Have fun, DO NOT MISS COCO BONGO CLUB. Have a safe and woderful vacation

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to handle $$$

When my husband and I and our two children stayed at an all inclusive in cancun in April we took approx. $700 in cash. Any money we needed to exchange for pesos we exchanged at our hotel. Any big items and reputable places like tours we put on our credit card. The US dollar is excepted almost everywhere, but if used you'll get a 10:1 exchange on your money and your change will more than likely be in pesos, so pay close attention when doing this to make sure you receive back the correct amount. We did get money from an ATM at the end of our trip when we thought we might run out of money, but my husband goes to Mexico on business so we didn't need to worry about exchanging it back.

You can exchange a small amount of your money in the airport, but will probably get a better exchange rate at your hotel.

Kitchener, Ontario
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to handle $$$

farther & son have the best answer.

Exchange whatever money you plan on taking with you into pesos before you board your plane. Don't use you native currency! Traveller cheques I felt were pointless but as an emergency I guess they are effective. Make sure too that you carry small bills.

Now go and enjoy your trip!