We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Illinois
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

Is this just a tourist trap or is it a cool place to spend a day?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

It's not that exciting. Basically, you float/swim (your perference) down a river and that's it.

If you are looking for a fun day trip I suggest the Xcaret's sister location, Xel Ha. It has an great underground river to get your swimming fix as well as tons of other things to do.

Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

Xcaret is the park with the underground river. Xel-Ha is the one with the snorkel lagoon and the lazy river you float down.

Xcaret is pretty cool. It wouldn't be for everyone-- there is a lot of walking. And the price is high. But the underground river is a unique experience. And they have tons of other exhibits. There are Mayan ruins on the site, and a reproduction Mayan village and ball court and Mexican cemetary. There are many animal exhibits; we particularly enjoyed the giant sea turtles, some more than 7 feet long. The butterfly rainforest, orchid greenhouse, and natural bat cave were also fun.

They have an observation platform that lifts you up a tower and rotates so you can get a good view of the area. The night show is supposed to be great, although we didn't see that. Xcaret definitely offers some entertainment value; we enjoyed our day there very much.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

I loved xcaret!! the underground river was GREAT!! we had so much fun.. more than xel-ha... and the show at nite is incredible! so I really sugest to go to xcaret....is a beautiful place to go and spend the day..

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

It really depends what you like. Personally I loved snorkeling in the cenote, a little cold, but fun. The re-inactments of the Mayan ball game and rituals was cool, but very long to watch in the heat. The lagoon was great for snorkeling, but take some swim shoes for the rocks if you plan to get out of the lagoon for a break. Xel-ha was more up my alley. All-inclusive, includes food, drinks, etc. If I had a choice between the two it would be Xel-ha. Hope this helps a little.

Northern California
Level Contributor
596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

It says in my Lonely Planet Yucatan guidebook, circa 2000, "the fish are regularly driven off by the dozens of busloads of sun-oiled day trippers...rip-off prices...Should you come to Xel-Ha? Sure, as long as you come off-season(in summer)or in winter either very early or very late in the day to avoid the buses..." Hope that helps somewhat...their review of Xcaret is substantially better...

Miami Fl
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

Go to Xcaret. Well worth the trip, Lots too see and do or you can just chill by the crystal clear lagoons and have waiters serve you cold Modelo Beer and real Mexicn food right on the beach. Going back on 6/28/05. Stay for the night show niceeeeee!

Los Angeles & London
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

Xcaret was the highlight of my trip. I enjoyed it far more than Cozumel and Chichen-Itze (both of which were overbearingly long day trips for me.) On the other hand, I didn't get enough of Xcaret. The place just offered so much to do, in so little time! I especially enjoyed the underground river swims (I did this twice); the underwater SeaTrek (which was amazing-- excellent medium between snorkeling and diving); and the spectacular evening dinner-show (awesome stand-alone event.) I never visited the sister-park Xel-Ha, but I was very satisfied with the Xcaret trip.

CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

Xcaret, worth the trip? Yes!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

Everyone is really curious about Xcarat and Xel-ha. One might appeal to someone more than the other. But, I dont' think you could have a bad day at either one. I know when I go on vacation, I usually spend at least 1 day just hanging out on the beach. Worst case scenario, both these parks are at least as good as hanging out on the beach for the day, worst case scenario. Well, they aren't free like the beach is. I just don't think anyone could have a really bad day at either one.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
134 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Xcaret Worth the Trip?

I thought it was worth the trip but a very long day. We were picked up at our hotel at 9:30 am and did not return until 10:45 pm. Even though it is pricey, I think it was worth the $$ since there is alot to see and the night show gives you a good feel for the culture. It was a good way to spend a day not sitting at the beach all day(sometimes you just need a break) We did not even get a chance to see everything there. I also did the swim with the dolphins there and was well worth the $$ as well.