We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

Which location is recommended? Playa del Carmen or Cancun?

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

Definetely will need more information than that. Likes dislikes, family vaca, party, what is it that you are looking for?

kbosley
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

The one thing I can tell you about Cancun is that is is VERY americanized... we have been to about 10 different places in Mexico and I was not a fan of Cancun... it felt as if we were in a beach town in america. Unless oyu are looking to have a "spring break" type trip I would deffinatly not recomend Cancun.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

jdkaylor,

My husband and I are visiting for our 10 yr anniversary. We are not big drinkers and want to go somewhere that is romantic.

We would like to be somewhere that's in a good location to see the "must do's" since we are not planning on renting a car.

Thanks for your input.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

cancun will feel like home. playa will feel like mexico. but what are your "must sees?"

Wallasey
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

PDC definitley. I vsisted with my girlfriend last year and am returning in april. you will love PDC. very laid back but great ambience and lots of bars and resteraunts to enjoy a relaxing drink and meal with out the hassle of cancun

kbosley
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

I would deffinatly suggest PDC over Cancun fromby what you are looking for. As far as the sights I would DEFFINATLY recomend going to see Chitzen Itza, it may be about a 3 hour drive but it is worht it times ten!!!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

My husband and I went for our 10th wedding anniversary last winter. We stayed 6 nights in Cancun and a week in Playa del Carmen (15 minutes north of PDC at the Mayan Palace). We also took a day trip to Isla Mujeres from Cancun. We were happy with our decision to visit all of these locations (although we had planned to go to Cozumel and didn't, which I wish we would have now). If I had to pick between PDC and Cancun, I'd pick PDC. It is less Americanized and more romantic and quieter than Cancun. Plus, we aren't in to the party scene of Cancun either. (Next time I'd try to stay closer to downtown however we enjoyed the MP too). I would highly recommend a day (or part of the trip) on Isla Mujeres too (we are staying there next week for 1 week). You will have a great time in any of these places. It is all wonderful!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

My boyfriend and I went to PDC almost 4 years ago. We were 24 years old. I thought PDC was beautiful. We stayed at Paraiso Lindo resort and it was pretty and the food in the restaurants was really good. The beach was really nice and it was easy to find spots at the pool/beach.

However, I would not recommend this resort/area to young people. The drinks on the beach are watered down. The pool is filled with kids and annoying "night clubish" music all day. The pool was NOT relaxing at all. There is virtually nothing to do at night since the shuttle to town stopped running at 9:30 and there were really no taxis. One night we did a "bar excursion" and that was really fun. However, the hotels are far from town. It was a nice vacation but really boring. After dinner there was literally nothing to do. So...I am hoping to plan a trip to Cancun in Dec. There are really nice hotels there, great beaches and nightlife that is relatively close and easy to get to.

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

We just got back from Cancun, first time there, but having been there I would say PDC first. From most people I have talked with, those in my own age group and similar interests, they unanimously agree that PDC is nicer. It is less Americanized and more laid back. More of that chill out by the beach in a tropical setting atmosphere.

Cancun is a lot of fun, plenty of nightlife, lots to do but having experienced it, my next trip will be farther south to the PDC area. This is strictly opinion and personal taste so ultimately it depends on what you want. For me, a week on the beach with an umbrella drink under a palm tree is paradise. For you it may be different.

France
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa del Carmen vs. Cancun?

Where do you want to stay in PDC? I was there in June and alot of the hotels have no beach just like Cancun. We stayed at the Sandos Playacar(nice beach) but not as nice as some left in Cancun! Riu Yucatan, Riu Palace (almost no beachs) Palm trees falling in water. Iberostar Tucan had a small beach. I like Cancun better. I'm going back to Cancun Feb.10-18. Staying at the Royal Solaris. It still has beach. I like the big waves on the big part of the 7 in Cancun. PDC has little or no wave action.