We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
west coast USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

Trying to decide to go to Cancun or Cabo mid-Jan. Will have a total of 3 day to be in Cancun, plus 1/2 of check out day. Is it worth the long travel for a short stay or would Cabo, PV, Ixtapa be better? We are planning to stay at the Fairmont Mayakoba in Riviera Maya area in Cancun or Marquis in Cabo or ??? in PV or Ixtapa. Suggestions appreciated.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

I would say absolutely! We fly out of LAX on Alaska Airlines, which is a non-stop flight, getting into Cancun about 3:30pm. On the return flight, we don't leave Cancun until about 6:00pm which still leaves a good part of the day to enjoy the beach and we're back at LAX by 8:30pm or so. It's about a 4 1/2 hr. flight non-stop. Not sure it would be worth it if you had to change planes, had a layover somewhere, etc. but with the direct flight you could have some wonderful time in Cancun! We've taken this trip for the last 3 years...and are planning our 4th trip.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

The red-eye from CA will put you in Cancun in the morning. You will start your vacation a bit tired but early. With a late flight out, you will have most of the day to enjoy. From LAX we booked a red-eye that get us to Cancun by 10 am and our return is non-stop leaving at 5:30. With long flights and time change, the red-eye has become my friend.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

kooljammin...what airline from LAX can you get into Cancun at 10:00 a.m.? Must not be direct and you have a plane change somewhere? Sounds like it may be worth it to me to be there in the morning!

Deep South
Level Contributor
86 posts
4. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

Go for it! We are flying out of Houston Jan. 10th and returning Jan. 14th! No stay in Cancun is too short.

Have fun!

cstoutMn
Level Contributor
444 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

We love Cancun soooo any trip is a good one! We also have been to Ixtapa when the hurricane hit cancun we went to Ixtapa that year. Ixtapa is warmer( hot ) We stayed at Las Brisas..It was nice up on a hill.Not been to Cabo but friends tell me it will be cooler there in Jan. ? Enjoy

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

We live in FL and have to make a connection. For us, it would be a minimum of 4 nights to make it worthwhile. Inlcuding drive time and time in, each travel day is 8-9 hours.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,586 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

our first trip (eons ago now) was only 5 days, and yup, flying out of LAX.

Though, if you are staying at the Mayakoba, you aren't really in Cancun, more like 45 minutes or so away, closer to playa del carmen.

Comparing the yucatan to the west coast of mexico is like night n day. The water will be warmer, and a more gorgeous blue. Playa is a bit more laid back than cancun to me. I would prefer it over baja & PV.

as other have mentioned, with a 1stop you can get a red eye out of LAX and be in Cancun relatively early in the morning. BTDT, not my preference, but sometimes you've got to make sacrifices for adventures

PA
Level Contributor
575 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

winjii,

Is the Houston airport hard to navigate? We only have 45 minutes to make our connection and I'm worried. Airline assures me we'll be fine...yeah, and I also believe that pigs fly.

Thanks for your help!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

45 minutes at Houston, or any airport, is tight. Going down you should make it but any delay and you will miss your connection. The other problem with 45 minutes is getting your luggage from one plane to the other. Comming back, 45 minutes is not enough time. I recommend at least 1 and half or 2 hours coming back to allow for delayed flights, getting through customs, etc, and finding your connecting flight.

west coast USA
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Is flying from CA to Cancun for 4 total day worth it?

So, we have from the 16th to the 21st for vacation, but as the return flight doesn't get back to LA until 9:40pm (if the flight is on time) and then we need to get our car and drive home, we won't be home until 11/11:30 and my husband refuses to do this and go to work exhausted in the morning. So, we'd actually have to arrive around 4:40pm in Cancun, get our stuff, transport to Playa Del Carmen so not at the hotel until perhaps 6/6:30pm. Then we'd have Thursday, Friday, Saturday and need to check out on Sunday. We'd have Sunday morning, but need to head to the airport around mid-day to catch the 5:30pm flight back to LA. SO, we'd have only 3 full days to enjoy the Riviera Maya area. Seems short.