We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did you think of Tulum?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What did you think of Tulum?

I was thinking of doing the Tulum/ Xel-ha combo? Is Tulum really worth it? Is there anything to do there besides see the ruins? Or is it better to just spend the whole day at Xel-ha?

Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What did you think of Tulum?

You could definitely spend an entire day at Xel-Ha, but the first year we did the combo tour. I thought Tulum was beautiful and interesting. The tour there only lasts a couple of hours tops, then it was on to Xel-Ha. The ruins and the history behind them were interesting and I'm glad we went.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What did you think of Tulum?

Thanks Dive Girl.

Norwood, OH
Level Contributor
420 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What did you think of Tulum?

I just put this on another post. Seems to fit your question too.

This is just a suggestion, but I wouldn't do Tulum and Xel-Ha together. We did a few weeks ago and just didn't have enough time, especially at Xel-Ha. We did the package tour with Apple vacations and by time they dropped off the first group at Xel-Ha that was spending the day there, then we drove to Tulum and stayed almost 2 hours and then drove back to Xel-Ha it was already l:00 pm. The park closed at 5:00. We didn't even see half the place. We also did the all-inclusive plan and barely used it because of time.

We said if we ever went again we would go to Xel-Ha for a day by itself.

I also wanted to add that Tulum is truely beautiful, but there really isn't anything else to do there besides see the ruins and the beach. They have a few shops and restaurants about a 1/4 mile from the ruins. If you'll be staying close and it won't be a long drive I would do both, just on different days.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What did you think of Tulum?

For what it is worth ...

Tulum is a minor Maya site in a lovely location.

When you see Chichen or Uxmal or Ek Balam you will say,

"Tulum was a drive-through coffee stand compared to these!"

I would enjoy the reefs, maybe a cenote, the Cancun or Playa experience and leave the ruins for a trip when I had the time to see the ancient cities in the interior.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,197 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What did you think of Tulum?

I also much prefer nearby Coba to tulum. Not nearly as crowded and a much larger site.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What did you think of Tulum?

Yea I kind of wanted to see some ruins heard about the 4 hour ride each way to Chichen Itza so I figured that maybe Tulum would be the closest thing to getting that experience on the way to Xel-Ha. We would probably do a tour and don't want to bother getting rushed so now I'm thinking of taking all your advice and just doing Xel-Ha separately and getting the most for our money, especially since Tulum is not even comparable to Chichen Itza. Now, if only I can convince my boyfriend to take that 4 hour trip ...

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What did you think of Tulum?

Doll

I wouldn't even bother with Chichen. Make a plan to come back and "do" Yucatan from Merida.

The "tours" to Chichen don't satisfy many people.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What did you think of Tulum?

I went to Tulum last year and thought it was awesome. We took the collectivo from the Palladium which cost $1.30 each way and took about 25 minutes. The cost to get into Tulum without a tour was about $3.00. It costs more for a guided tour, but we just wanted to see things on our own time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The ruins are set along a cliff setting looking out over the most beautiful coloured water I have ever seen. You should check it out.