We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

Hello all...still trying to decide which resort for DH's 40th bday trip!

I have read and read and read reviews (I think I might be addicted ! ;)I feel like I need a spread sheet to keep all the resort positive/negatives straight :)

So, hopefully there is somebody out there who wanted what we wanted and can help :) Ok, here it is:

Adults Only All-Inclusive in Cancun or Playa

-no preference-we've only been to Cozumel so open to try either.

1. Oceanview room with beautiful beach/water that we can sit under palapa and receive beach drink service

murky water,seawalls, tons of concrete/glass, no palm trees or landscaping are deal breakers...husbands are farmers and need some green and room to roam :)

2. SOFT bed with quality linens a must...a pillowtop is preferred...a hard bed is a deal breaker no matter how nice resort is.

3. Quality food with good selection and no reservations options...prefer buffet b'fast with omelet station...beach view lunch cafe spot with awesome guacamole or pool/beach service...dinner could be casual or nice sit down-but, husband is not going to pack a coat :)

4. Beer/Drinks...Sol, Dos Equis, Corona, Pacifica, Modela, Johnny Walker Black scotch, and top shelf vodka choices would be awesome :)

We are 3 couples ages 34-41...love to have fun and meet people...

Does our ideal resort exist????????? LOL?

Thanks to any who can suggest somethng!

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

Wow, that sounds alot like what I was looking for and I chose the Royal Cancun. I havent gone yet but will be there Dec 1. I hear, and from the pictures I have seen that the beach is not the greatest but also not the worst. I do know they have an omlette station for breakfast at Spice's, great comfortable beds, no need for dinner reservations except at Chefs Plate, all rooms with ocean view. There are some great reviews on the Royal you might want to read along with the candid travelers photos. Good luck!!

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

Great!...I will eagerly await your trip report :) The Royal does sound like it fits the bill...hope you have a wonderful trip! Take some pics so we can see the latest :) Thanks!

somewhere
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

I will second The Royal Cancun. The beach doesn't seem to be AS bad as it was even a few weeks ago. Directly in front of the resort is awful, but a recent review said that this is actually positive when you eat at Pelicanos because you see ocean as your view. Other reviews have commented that on the left side (facing the ocean) towards the Grand Caribe has a good beach as well as towards the right. have a look at the recent pics in the reviews and you will see what I mean.

The beds aren't pillow top but they are heavenly. Soft and perfect.

The liquor is good quality and the service is impeccable.

This resort has everything that you have listed as wanting.

Ontario
Level Contributor
480 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

Hi TravelJunkie,

We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun last November in the Excellence Club Section. Has everything your looking for.

Heading to the Royal Playa Del Carmen December 29th for a week.

We have booked their Royal Service and that seems to have everything your looking for as well.

We stayed at the Xcaret last christmas with grown kids total last minute trip but missed a beach as that one is man made . That's when we discovered Playa del Carmen's charm .........many taxi rides in for a wander around and a beach. Walking distance to 5th avenue this trip will be fun.

Will post a review on the Royal on our return.There were quite a few folks posting on here in the last couple of weeks that just went this week so in the next couple of weeks the Royal in Playa should have many reviews posted I'm thinking.

Your ideal resort exists just depends on what location you want.

Cheers

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

Actually, having just spent a week sleeping in the beds at the Royal Cancun, I believe they are pillow top. We also rented a car and spent a day at the Royal in Playa, and although it is very nice, overall it can't compare to the Royal in Cancun. The only thing nicer is the beach. The resort itself is way off the beach as opposed to in Cancun where it's right on the beach. I don't think I'd consider staying at the Royal in Playa, where we do plan to return to the Royal in Cancun.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

I so appreciate everyone sharing their experiences/opinions everyone has a different perspective...that is the beauty and purpose of the boards, right!

I will look forward to reading the latest reviews...thinking we should go ahead and book flights as they are filling up quickly!

Several great choices out there it seems...Excellence Riviera was one of our first choices...but, $3200(flight+hotel) for 4 nights was a little too much for one of our couples...and it seemed reservations were needed for everything (?)...could have it confused with another...?

Pouring over all the sites...I have found various websites with the same packages anywhere from $2900 to $4000 for same dates, flights, room types at Royal Playa, Excellence, and a couple of other nice places, too..

Bookit.com has had some of the best deals...American Express site has some of the highest for cancun/playa packages-but, I'm trying to use points so... I keep checking it-AMEX usually has great deals or extras-don't know why they don't for cancun right now....oh, well

just going to keep looking and reading ya'lls great advice until I'm ready to commit to THE one :)

Thanks, again!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
518 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

This has also been a HUGE sticking point for me when I go. No matter how great the grounds are, and there are some outstanding properties there, if the bed is a typical Mexican deal, I'm out.

With that said, I like Dreams for their beds. It's hardly the best resort, and it's even a bit older, but for an awesome night's sleep, they win.

Aqua had nice beds, too, but who knows that place will reopen. You cannot beat the Ritz if price isn't an issue (same with Aqua).

I wonder how many of these resort owners actually care about their guests comfort. Do a nice massive marble entrance but go for the el cheapo mattresses never made much sense to me. Think about how hotels are marketed to us in the States. It's all about the sleep you'll get.

Sad, but I stopped going to Cancun because of the same issues you pointed out in your post. I also question a lot of the reviews for the hotels. Call me a snob, but MANY Americans don't travel a lot and they think Cancun is paradise because of the nice buffet and free booze on the AI plans.

Aim high but pay for it. Ritz would be my choice.

somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

i don't know much about the beds in mexico, but after reading several reviews on here, it seems that most hotels have mattress pads if you ask for them at check in. i know if i need one, i'll go to the walmart in cancun and by an egg crate mattress pad if necessary. after all how much can it cost? oh yes, thats right, our US dollar is tanking...........time to whip out your loonies...

Barrie, Ontario...
Level Contributor
818 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

The Iberostar Grand has excellent beds and bedding. Pricey but worth it.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AI with pillowtop beds? Does our ideal resort exist? ;)

Le Blanc had some of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. Great linens and wonderful turn down service every night. Big problem here is that at the time we went (last Dec) you would not be guaranteed an oceanview room.

Loved the food, no reservations required. The guacamole was so good by the pool I had to start limiting how much I ate each day!!

Top shelf booze, just had to ask for it. Did not see coronoa.

Hope some of this info helps.