We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

I have read a lot on this forum about the time share people at the airport, and I would like to share my recent experience with this, as nothing prepared me for what happened. First, you won't encounter them until just after you have passed the "red light/greenlight" area for possible luggage inspection. You will be ready to exit the airport for your ride to your hotel. I had my ride voucher plus other vouchers for my hotel in my hand. There were about 10 men dressed exactly alike in blue pants and white shirts that were standing at arms length from each other blocking the exit from the airport. When I tried to walk through one of these men (who was a foot taller than me) said "Do you have proof of travel arrangements to your hotel?" I nodded yes, and he promptly grabbed my travel vouchers out of my hand and said in a threatening voice "NO ONE can exit this airport until they have proven they have transportation arranged, or a taxi will be called for them for safety reasons!" I might add that he now had me by the left arm (and I still have two bruises there to show for it), and I was struggling to hang on to two suitcases and a purse. Please also note that these men each wear a LANYARD around their neck that says "Cancun Tourist/Travel Advisory Board". He proceeded to rip apart my vouchers at their perforations and stated "Your transportation company comes on the hour, at 20 after the hour, and at 40 after the hour...you have just missed the shuttle, and will have to wait 18 minutes to exit the airport. He then started talking about Cancun, etc., and I realized what was happening. At this time, I started to yell "GIVE ME MY _____TRAVEL DOCUMENTS NOW!" and made a few tears go down my face for good measure. You could have heard a pin drop in the place. My point is this for those of you who have never been there...DO NOT HAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS IN YOUR HAND OR POCKET (I saw a man over to my right have his grabbed out of his pocket). Plow through the line of men that are blocking your exit. If they grab your arm like I was grabbed say in a very loud voice "TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF ME NOW!" and run. The men with the LANYARDS on their neck are the bad guys. You don't have to take your transportation papers out until you safely exit the building and then you will see little booths, each labeled with specific travel companies--go to your's and THEN take your documents out. I hope this specific information will help someone.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

It's sad they allow them in the airport. I just stare straight ahead and walk as fast as I can. They yell to me, try to stop my, make me feel like I'm the rude one for not stopping to talk to them, one tried grabbing my luggage out of my hand, but l just said no thanks and kept going. YOur experience is extreme. Hopefully it won't stop you from going back.

USA, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I had heard the timeshare people were aggressive, but wouldn't have been expecting that.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
312 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

I've learned also from reading these forums to ignore them and keep moving and I advised my friends to do the same when we arrive. However, had that have been me then I dont know how I would've handled the situation. I think I would have ended up in trouble with la policia had he manhandled me like you mentioned.

USA, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

You know what scares me, is that I probably would have thought they were "officials" who had a right to ask for the documents.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

Thank you for sharing this - I will definately be on the lookout for these guys when I head down to Cancun in June.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

SBP Tennessee you are exactly right. I think after going through customs I was in the mindset that I wanted to follow instructions to the letter of the law, and I believed the guy that I had to show these documents. The Lanyard gave added (false) validity that he was some kind of professional there to check my papers.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

My husband wouldn't listen to me the last time. They went up to him and demanded to see our documents. He gave them to one of the men. As I'm telling him to come on. He gave them to one of the guys. I was glaring at the guy, at my husband, and demanded the papers back. It is hard to do, when you have your hands full of luggage, and these sharks on top of you. We got them back, and got out the doors, to our transportation. They do it everytime. Report this to your travel agent, and if they booked through a company, like Apple, Funjet, MLT, TNT, etc. let them know as well.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

Yikes!

When we go this summer, my in-laws are getting in a hour before us -- they were planning to meet us and then get the rental car together. Is there anywhere in the airport that they can get lunch and not be prey to hassles?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

They do have a restaurant on the way out, after the red light/green light. And there are restaurants upstairs, at the departure areas of Gates A1-A7. Be sure to tell them to put the papers away, and ignore everybody.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Timeshare-Airport Warning for first-timers

They do have a restaurant on the way out, after the red light/green light. And there are restaurants upstairs, at the departure areas of Gates A1-A7. Be sure to tell them to put the papers away, and ignore everybody.