We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf while staying at Xpu Ha

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Anahuac, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Golf while staying at Xpu Ha

I will be staying at Xpu Ha in June and plan to play golf. How convenient is the transportation to the courses? I know one is in Playa Del Carmen and one at the Moon Palace.

Idaho
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf while staying at Xpu Ha

We stayed at the Sun Palace and my husband played golf at the Moon Palace. On the days he went to play golf he was picked up outside the Sun by a shuttle and taken to the Moon Palace golf course. After he was done they drove him back to the Sun Palace. This service was included as part of the cost of golfing. On the golf course they have food and beverage carts that come around regularly offering a lot of choices from alcoholic to nonalcoholic. Of course there is no charge for anyone who is a guest of any of the Palace resorts. My husband said a cart would come by about every other hole. Of course he is just a beginner so he takes quite a while to get through two holes.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf while staying at Xpu Ha

I have not stayed at Xpu Ha but have stayed at the MP. I got transportation to the Playa car course and it was just fine. When you make a tee time, they will set up your transportation. It is simply a van that you will take you to the course. I did not have any problems myself. Good luck! If you have not played those two courses, I can tell you that they are both great courses. The Playa car course is much more difficult than MP. The holes are shorter on the Playa car course but the fairways are half the size. There is a lot of hazzards to contend with.

Anahuac, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf while staying at Xpu Ha

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the response. I stayed at Moon last July and played the course there and enjoyed it...especially the croc on (I think) #16. I think I'll travel with my own clubs this time, because I really didn't enjoy the rental clubs. I knew Moon was convenient, but that Xpu Ha was at least a half hour away.

Long Island
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf while staying at Xpu Ha

I believe Adventura has a course which is just a couple minutes north of Xpu-Ha.

Anahuac, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf while staying at Xpu Ha

I realize this is a bump of an older thread, but...I just returned from my trip from Xpu Ha, and did play twice at Playacar and thought others might want some info. I really did enjoy both rounds, probably the second more than the first because I remembered the course and because it was earlier in the day and a little cooler. I was paired each time with very pleasant folks from the states, one from Ohio and the other twosome from Amarillo. I really enjoy playing golf with new folks!

The course was well manicured and challenging...played from about 7,000 yards from the middle tees, very tight and lots of sand. The slope rating from the middle tees was posted at 148. The bermuda greens were typically grainy but smooth. The #1 handicap hole is the 7th, 455 par 4 from the middle tees, into a prevailing wind. The worst part was the tee box was right on the highway, so everyone and their dog sees your swing on the toughest hole!

We saw the beverage cart about every third hole, and they were very accomodating...beer, soft drinks, water, a cool towel, sandwiches and candy bars and chips. An included meal afterwards in the clubhouse was comfortable, too.

I was at Xpu Ha, and the transportation was very smooth and easily arranged through guest services. They picked me up at the lobby 45 minutes prior to tee time, and picked up at the course on the hour.

While it is overpriced by Houston standards, for those who need their "fix" while traveling and enjoy new courses, it was a good time. I think the pricing was pretty typical of this type resort destinations. There are discount options available, also.