We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helmet Diving?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Helmet Diving?

I was watching a Cancun/Cozumel travel video this weekend, and saw people doing various things at one of the reefs, including: snuba, snorking, submarine rides, and helmet diving.

Does anyone know if helmet diving is available anywhere in or around Cancun? It looks like it was over at Cozumel.

It looks like it'd be expensive too, but cool!

DaddyO

Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Helmet Diving?

I'm not aware of any dive ops in the Cancun area that offer helmet diving. Of course, it's been 8 months since I was there last. I supposed it could have been introduced there during that time.

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helmet Diving?

Did you ever try it? It looks like a cool thing to do for a novice diver.

KY
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Helmet Diving?

Looks like this is offered at Xcaret.......have you checked it out on their website? .....seems more like a walk in the park??? =) I think I might suggest this for my husband. He is petrified of snorkeling and the kids and I can't wait! I am wondering about the size of the helmets as he has a really big head. Seriously. =)

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helmet Diving?

You are correct about Xcaret! You can do it and not even get your hair wet! $39 for a half-hour stroll 16 feet underwater.

www.xcaret.com/park-attractions/sea-trek.php

London, ont
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Helmet Diving?

I was talking to someone last night about this. They were in Cozumel last year. I think she called in Snuba.Sounds fun for the kids. Can't wait.2 weeks left.

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helmet Diving?

Actually snuba is somewhat different. It's basically snorkeling with an air line. So, just a mask and breathign apparatus, no helnet. Either one sounds fun, but helmet diving doesn't require you to hold anything in your mouth to breath, or mask pressed to your face.

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Helmet Diving?

But why not do a Discover Scuba Course - its easy. A little time in the pool and then you can do a shallow dive at the famous Grand Mayan Reef and really see some interesting things - not just the inside of a pool. Anyone that's afraid of snorkelling just needs my free snorkel lesson before going out to see the reef!

isle of man
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Helmet Diving?

You can do it at xel ha , called sea trek, costs approx 39 usd for 30 minutes, we did it a few weeks ago while there and its amazing

simon