We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun vs. Riviera Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun vs. Riviera Maya

My girlfriend and I are planning a 6 day vacation to Mex. this December. We have stayed already at the Iberostar Lindo in the Riv.Maya once and enjoyed it VERY MUCH. It is booked up for the time we are going so we are looking for an alternative. In looking at Resorts in the Riv.Maya area, we have noticed the prices have gotten quite expensive. So... the Cancun are has become a financially desirable option. Does anyone have an opinion regarding the difference between the Cancun area vs. Riv.Maya? We are used to the EXCELLENT standards at the Iberostar Lindo, so any resorts reccomended? We have looked at the Riu Palace Americas... looks interesting. Also, we we like to do some eco-tours within the area. Are we at a disadvatage staying in the Cancun area with this in mind? Thanks for all your comments! This is an excellent resource!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun vs. Riviera Maya

Not sure if you're looking for an AI, adults only resort...but Golden Crown Paradise is nice, also Riu Cancun, and the Fiesta Americana Condessa...check them out on this site. I agree that Playa del Carmen is becoming expensive, but there are some great places to stay that are nice. We started staying at the plaza marina condos...they're right on the beach, next to the ferry to Cozumel.....check them out at playagetaway.com. You'd have the beach to yourselves most likely. Nice spot.