We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, ont
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

What would be the better day trip if I had to pick one? I would like to do Cozumel from Cancun by boat if possible. Any info is appreciated.

St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

I personally like Cozumel but Isla Mujeres is nice for something short and sweet. Snorkeling and diving are best on Cozumel. I do not spend a lot of time there so I can't give you a lot of info maybe someone who does can share?

Mansfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

Unless your diving or something I would not waste an entire day going to Cozumel, as far as I know you can not leave directly from Cancun to Cozumel, you have to take a ride south to Playa Del Carmen, and then a ferry to Cozumel. I like Isla Mujeres myself, it is closer, cheaper, and if you take the locals ferry you can pretty much come and go as you please.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

the ferry in Cancun doesn't go to Cozumel any longer. You'd have to get to Playa del Carmen, then take the ferry over. It's nice, but a very full day trip....if you're up for that.

Cozumel Mexico
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

To get to Cozumel you would take a bus to the very popular town of Playa del Carmen, a mini europe almost! , great shops, restaurants and beaches. You then take a ferry across the most beautiful water you have even seen! 7 shades of blue! you are crossing the Yucutan Channel over the second longest reef in the world! Bring your snorkel gear! A trip to Dzul-Ha, Chankanab, the national park, or Playa Corona will validate your decision if it has not yet been! The snorkeling is FANTASTIC! and you will almost wish you chose to stay on the island for your vacation because you could do this everyday!!!

All places I mention have snorkel equipment for rent if you do not own.

You can take a cab to any and all of these places very easily, or for less (roundtrip), rent a car. If you do rent a car then a trip around the island is a MUST! The windward side, BEAUTIFUL!!! coastal views and beaches, strong undertow and dangerous to swim, but there is some surf/boogie board action! This side of the island is undeveloped, no electricity, long stretches of beach, beach bars and restauarants serve the freshest fish! You can really get away from it all here!

Happy to answer any other questions you might have! cozumelkelly@hotmail.com This is a very special island! Come check it out! No regrets, I'm sure!

cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

We went to cozumel for the day on our last trip and the snorkeling there is amazing!!! This time we are going to Isle Muejers (spelling)?? Have a great time on your trip!!!

Missy

swansea
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

I went on the Isla Mujeres which was run from my hotel (BBC) it was a fab day out -great snorkelling, free booze and food, travelled via Catamaran( cost us $89 each which included the Jungle Tour on a different day) we really enjoyed, had a go on the Spinnaker at the end of the day and that was good too. Wouldnt mind trying Cozumel next time

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel vs. Isla Muerjes

Isla Mujeres is great for the scenery. In my 3 experiences there, I noticed that people tend to be 'not so friendly' no matter if you speak fluent Spanish or not. So if you're going there to relax on the beach or snorkel or to go to Garrafon park, then you will have a great time, but they're just not as nice as those you interact with in Cancun.

I've never been to Cozumel, so I don't know anything about that topic...