We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Las Vegas, NV
2 posts
Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

Hello everyone!

We are staying at the GR solaris on May 20th (our first trip to cancun!) and I am curious about the snorkeling situation. I read on here that there is decent snorkeling near Punta Nizuc. I know, it's not the best, but since it is fairly close to the GR solaris, I was wondering if we could just walk down the beach to this location and do snorkeling on our own. I would prefer to do something like this rather than take a tour with a group of people.

Also, does the hotel rent snorkeling equipment or should we just buy some before we leave?

Thanks for your input!

Ryan

Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours
Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
16 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

I was wondering the same thing. But we decided tthat we are going to take our kids to Isla Mujeres for the day instead and snorkel off the beach at Garrafon El Castillo Hotel on the south part of the island (right next door to Garrafon park but a lot less expensive). I've heard there is a bar there and food. Also, you can rent equipment for $6. The entrance fee is only $4 per person. Order the mapchick Isla Mujeres map right away and you will have all the info you need before you go. I got it and we can't wait to get there. It even gives you a guided route to follow once you get there. You rent golf carts and just tour the island for the day. Just search for it on here, but I believe the web address is cancunmap.com.

Royal Oak Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

We went snorkeling at Punta Nizuc a few years ago... I thought it was pretty good for being able to jump in right off the shore.

Basically take the bus south to the last stop at the Westin Regina. Walk down the path to the beach head right towards Club Med walk along the beach and just go in at the other side of the Peninsula.

We are also going to make the trip to Isla Mujeres for a day, I've heard great things about the water there.

I am intrested to hear the current condition of Punta Nizuc however, we were there before Hurricane Wilma.

Houston
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
52 helpful votes
3. Re: Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

I have snorkled there and it was definitely warth the trip. And you can't beat the price -- FREE. I believe that some of the tour operators take you there, but they charge $40-$60 a person for it.

Las Vegas, NV
2 posts
4. Re: Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

Awesome, thanks for the replies. We will definitely try it out.

Two follow-up questions: Could we walk down the beach from GR Solaris to get there, or should be take a bus down there.

Also, does GR Solaris or any hotel around the area rent out snorkeling equipment?

Thanks again for the helpful responses!

Ryan

Tennessee
Level Contributor
99 posts
46 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

Hey Phiserman, we'll be arriving at GR solaris on May 20th, too. We bought relatively inexpensive snorkeling equipment from https://www.divers-supply.com/ and www.dicksportinggoods.com. The second site has an entire set for less than $40. Be sure to verify that the items are in stock when you order them. We received most items within a week, but a couple were on back order. I'd recommend ordering by phone to avoid this possible problem. We are planning on trying Punta Nizuc and Isla Mujeres on our own. Maybe we'll see you at GR.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
1 review
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

GR Solaris is probably about 2Km from Punta Nizuc. It is not a bad walk along the beach. The water on the noth side of the point had a lot of seaweed along the shore last week. It's not the difficult to walk through it though.

Houston
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
52 helpful votes
7. Re: Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

The walk should not be bad, but you can always cab or bus it back if you get tired.

Remember that there are no services or outfitters at the point, so you will want to bring anything you'll want, i.e. water, beer, snacks, towels, sunscreen, bug repellant, etc with you. But, you can usually walk up to any hotel's beach or pool bar along the way to buy a drink (and use the restroom).

As far as snorkling gear goes, I am not sure if your hotel offers it or not. I just went to the local sporting goods store (Academy, in my case) and picked up a decent set of fins and mask & snorkle for around $30. You should be able to get a set near you at a sporting goods store or at Walmart or Target.

Enjoy.

8. Re: Snorkeling around Punta Nizuc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 17, 2009