We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico Travel Warning ..

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Mexico Travel Warning ..

Hi Guys,

i wanted to see hows the scene in Cancun right now since US issued a new travel warning this week for 5 mexico states. i know cancun isnt one of the places but wanted to get a feel..

29 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
69 posts
1. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

Maybe go a forum that covers those states. Kind of irrelevant here.

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

I saw new level 4 warnings last night, for Ixtapa, and Acapulco. No further warnings for the East coast of Mexico.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

Don't do drugs or get into politics here and you will be just fine. The reason why these bad people exist is because of the voracious appetite of tourists wanting their horrible product.

1 post
4. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

Mexico is a huge country and most of the places you mention 100s of miles away. Speaking from my own experience, if your sensible you will be fine and unlucky to have any problems

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

Just on our last of 10 nights staying in downtown Cancun. Have done lots of walking and tonight we went to watch the local football team play Walking back the 20 minutes back to our hotel myself and my wife both commented how safe we felt during our holiday and also how friendly everyone is. We felt more uneasy spending 5 nights prior to Mexico staying in New York and using the subway.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
79 reviews
6. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

If a warning was issued for Oregon, should I visit Dallas?

As post 1 says, irrelevant on this particular forum

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
949 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

As far as relevance, the OP was simply wondering if the issues mentioned in certain areas in the state department's travel advisory might be happening in Cancun also. It's a valid concern IMO, especially for first-time travelers to a certain area.

As mentioned by many others in this forum regarding this topic, it's all about common sense. Be aware of your surroundings, when you go off the resort try not to go alone. Avoid certain areas after dark, every large city in the world has its version of a "red-light district" including Dallas and my hometown of Indianapolis, just stay away from them. If you want to go out and sample the night life, talk to the concierge at your resort for suggestions, they know what areas are probably better.

I was just there in December with the wife, felt totally safe in the Hotel Zone, and we went into town a couple days on the bus, no worries whatsoever. Go and enjoy yourself.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
8. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

There has been a lot posted about the violence in this area in the last 4/5 months or so. Some links to articles have also been posted. There has been a significant increase in cartel violence. Tourists are not the targets, but shootings have occurred in tourist areas. To get a better idea, search for local newspaper articles. If you don’t speak Spanish, use a translation app. They work well enough.

Edited: 10:58 am, January 13, 2018
Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
417 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

Overall the area seemed pretty safe to me. Reputable resorts are really secure, particularly where I stay in Playa Mujeras (2-3 security check points). Outside of there I would just be mindful of who is driving you, and make sure to stick to the nicer areas. Probably comparable risk to New York.

However, I agree its something to keep an eye on. Especially considering the problems seen in places like Aculpoco. Hoping Mexican authorities can dig themselves out of their weak position...

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Mexico Travel Warning ..

Bruce F., those aren't issues, they are actual problems.

Edited: 3:14 pm, January 13, 2018
Reply to: Mexico Travel Warning ..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted