We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Collectivo or locals bus, how does it work?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Collectivo or locals bus, how does it work?

Looking for tips on using the Collectivo bus that the Mexicans use to travel up and down the big, fast

road that goes north and south out of Cancun?

* Can I walk from the resort to the bus?

* Is there a bus stop outside Royal Haciendas (north of Playa del Carmen)?

Any tips appreciated.

My local friend in Puerto Morales tells me it's 20 pesos to ride now. 30 pesos or so to get a tax to a local address from the bus stop.

1 reply
Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Collectivo or locals bus, how does it work?

It isn't a bus, it's shuttle vans that hold about 12 people.

No, you can't get one near Royal Haciendas. First, you'd have to walk all the way to highway 307, which is quite a hike to begin with (maybe 3 km), and that hotel isn't even on a main road from the highway. But secondly, that's too far north of PDC anyway, the colectivos are pretty much full by avenue CTM which is a lot farther south (it's same as calle 46). That hotel is more like what might be calle 140.

From Cancun, you can get them near the ADO main bus station, I think it's really the MEGA parking lot which is across the street from the ADO station. That's where they go from PDC, also. In PDC, they start at calle 2, between ave 20 and 25 (which is more down near the ferry).

I think it's really more like 35 pesos, not 20, to ride them between those points. At least that's Playa Express' fee, there are some smaller cheaper ones, they could be 20. You know, you can take the ADO bus for only about 50-75 pesos each way, not sure why you are fooling around with this. Right now, that's only about US$3. Of course, you'd have to get toe bus station, also, but in Cancun, same thing.

Reply to: Collectivo or locals bus, how does it work?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted