We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

We are flying into Cancun next July and will stay for one night before starting a tour early the next morning. We'll arrive 9am so will have a nice chunk of the day to see the beach and waters of Cancun. I've seen mention of the "7" shape of the beach hotels - which part of the 7 would have nicest beach and water views? For example, does a particular area have prettier sand and/or clearer, bluer water? It's only 1 day but I'd still like for us to enjoy a nice, relaxing beach view before embarking on our tour. Thanks for your responses!

Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours
7 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
818 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

I love the LONG part of the "7" better than the TOP part only because the beach is nicer IMO but it can be alot rougher surf @ times. Gorgeous colors of the Sea!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

And since you won't be staying at a 'resort', I guess access to many areas of the '7' will be challenging to get to, even though all beaches in Mexico are open to the public. In your situation, I'd probably suggest going to Delfines beach, down near Km 18 (??). It is a wide open public beach area with bathroom facilities. As JADR noted, the surf can be a bit more ruff this far South in the Hotel zone.....

¡Diviértanse!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

I love the colors and calmness of the top of the 7.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

I prefer the top of the 7, I like the Intercontinental Presidente.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

Playa Defines is the best if you just want to enjoy the beach and are not staying in the hotel zone. Parking and some services available

Playa Marlin-access next to Kukulcan Plaza

There's beach access next to Mandala in the "downtown" (night club) area of the hotel zone.

On the top part of the 7, there's Playa Langosta with ample parking and some.services. It's right by the Bandera Monumental (huge Mexican flag)

The beach and water is much more beautiful and scenic on the long side of the 7, but with rough seas. The top of the seven has calmer waters, but the quality of the beaches vary. Parts not in front of resorts have an erosion and a seaweed problem.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,869 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

>> which part of the 7 would have nicest beach and water views? For example, does a particular area have prettier sand and/or clearer, bluer water? <<

You'll find the most beautiful water colors at the top if you want the most scenic views. If you are more interested in a sandy stretch of beach and don't mind rough water and sand being stirred up the long part is best. We prefer the top for the gorgeous water colors and views, we've not looked for a public access so can't help there...

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?

From the equal mix of opinions, it looks like we can't really go wrong with wherever we pick!

Reply to: One day in Cancun - which part of the "7"?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted